1986 30P rear restoration journal

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
jdrmvv

Re: 1986 30P rear restoration journal

Post by jdrmvv »

Hi Bob,
Good job you did there.

I have Avion H-26 and I want to replace the shocks but I don't know which shock I have to buy.
Do you know what shocks they have? There are thousands out there and I don't to buy the wrong one.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks.
JR.
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

I'm not sure about that model, sorry. Have you tried calling Chuck Cayo?

Alright, back to work on the 30p. Just dropped off the split axles for sandblasting. Once I get them back I'll give the bushings a try. Has anyone tried drilling and burning them out???
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Okay getting ready to start ripping out some flooring. The. Old vinyl is obviously impossible to remove so it's hard to see where the seams are. What did you guys do to get started? Im thinking set my circular saw to quarter to half inch, make a plunge cut and see where that gets me? Trying to figure out the best way to get the first sheet removed and go from there...
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

silverloaf wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:13 pm We have a '88 30P similar in layout to yours. We went through an extensive restoration and re-build after purchasing it in 2017. It included replacing 25 ft. of rear floor, fabricating steel cross-members supporting the floor and tanks, and overhauling the axle, suspension and brakes. Our tanks didn't require repair. If you get the pics oriented in the right position, I'm sure I'll be able to help you with everything else.

KYAvion is the best team member to help you sort out the orientation issues.
Bob, when you went in to repair the frame in the back were you able to do so soley from working from below or did you have to gut the bathroom, remove the floor and subfloor and repair the frame that way? I did a similar repair on our 22' 72 argosy but that was another beast altogether with how they place their shell on top of the floor. Just trying to figure out where the heck to even start with that rear frame repair...
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Nelson,

I had to gut the bathroom and remove the entire floor assembly. The floor had rotted out around the toilet. There was also rot in the rear corners, as well at the openings for the water heater and service compartment for water & electrical.

With the floor removed, I found the sub-frame where the dump valves protruded rotted away completely. The same was true for at least one cross-trailer sub-frame segment. If I recall, the sub-frame around the dump valves is tapered from front to back. It is tack-welded to the main frame along the way. We surgically cut the welds with an angle grinder.

I had a local fabrication shop bend new C and Z-channels that mimicked the dimensions (except length) of the OEM. I cut and/or modified them based upon their location. The tapered piece was rather challenging because an outrigger was in the same location. Also, there were mounting tabs nearby that were used to support the aluminum rails that secure the black tank.

I suppose you could attempt to do this project from underneath. But with such low working/tool clearance and welding sparks flying around, I just found it easier to work from inside a large open hole. I painted all the steel frame members while there.

By the way, the toilet flange actually screws into a flange on the tank. I created a "wrench" using 2 bolts and a piece of wood. Engage the bolts into the flange bolt holes and unscrew the flange counterclockwise.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Thanks Bob. As far as l can tell the bathroom subfloor is okay in my rig. The PO had replaced some of the flooring in the back so now it just seems it's the frame that needs help. Planning on doing this when the weather cools off down here. Will let you know how it goes. Hopefully we can do most of not all of it from below
airguardian

Replacement Part # on my Avion 34V

Post by airguardian »

Some items I purchased for my Avion. Maybe the numbers will help others search or cross reference.

Side mount window operator WP8867C Jalousie crank window
Shocks Monroe 555001 / Gabriel 82049
DIETZ 77-825 RED marker light Truck-Lite 26310R
Dietz DZ 77-825 Amber marker light Truck-Lite 26310Y
PORCH LIGHT FOR COACHMAN AND FLOOR GMC motorhome G1327
Bargman L-400 door lock
Bargman Repair kit # 11-40-901
Dexter deadbolt Axxess+ 70 key
Blue Stripe 1987 1.5 inches Blue Metallic code 0127
Tim Shiver
Ocilla, GA
1987 Avion 34V