just got a 87 34v...help!!!

A little about yourself
jack.bayes

just got a 87 34v...help!!!

Post by jack.bayes »

To everyone!

Greetings from Long Beach, MS!!! This past weekend I became the owner of a '87 34V. I missed a CREAM-PUFF '89 30P two weekends before that and I'm talking one-owner taken care of 30P.

Well...this 34V isn't that. However, when I was in the 30P I knew I was going to find an Avion. Currently, I'm living in my parents 2018 Rockwood Mini-Lite with that tiny 'radius' shower and I'm 370lbs. I want you to remember the line from Alladin, 'itty-bitty living space!' and you'll understand. Even my wife understands why I want to get the HECK out of it!!!

Well, after being HEARTBROKEN after losing out on the 30P, I found the 34V in TX. TONS of miles later, it's now sitting covered at my mom's awaiting me to get started to return it to functional. NO, this is NOT going to be a full resto. That will come in a few years. Right now need it running to serve as my RV to replace mom's as I use it to live close to work. It is already close to full functional anyways.

This message is an SOS to everyone because I'm looking for specific items that for some reason are MISSING.

1. Stove Vent Hood - why in the world would someone remove that????
2. Front Window Rock Guard. The one that was there, well, seems it was broken (guess it come loose during transport and broke off.
3. All three roof vents are gone. No hardware.
4. Kitchen countertop is bubbled-up. It is functional, but dang looks bad.
5. Control panel looks like crap. That's one of the nicest things about the avion is that panel. That's the only thing I really want to restore.
6. Windows - yep...the cranks are trashed (some aren't holding at all).
7. Table in the front area is missing.
8. Trailer appears to have been flooded but floor is SOUND. No apparent electrical issues.

I've got a man coming next week that has experience in RV repairs (he's about to do a resto on a '76 Avion) and he knew about everything I was talking about and is going to do the work on the ac and check the atwood water heater.

If/when the time comes that I'm done using it as a daily living space I'm going to take it to the MIL's place and let her use it as an additional room for family and use as needed. In other words, I'm going to keep it. well...until someone has enough cash to want to take it from me...rofl...

Everywhere you look, RV's are all the same. This baby stands out saying...I AM THE BEST. And yes, I've already had someone call it an AirStream...this is going to be fun...

We are looking forward to being part of the Avion family. I'm going to put it this way. If I hit the lottery, I will still ONLY want to stay in an Avion. I'd have this thing fully-restored. I'm not interested in anything else at all because they're all crap. This is still functional and it's an 87???? Yeah, I'm SOLD. :)

As always, your help is appreciated

Here are some pics.
Attachments
20210321_163244.jpg
20210322_150312.jpg
20210322_150317.jpg
20210322_150338.jpg
20210324_121511.jpg
20210324_122220.jpg
20210324_122229.jpg
20210324_122245.jpg
20210324_122249.jpg
Jack Bayes, MT(AMT),CLS,BS...'cptriker1'...
MS Gulf Coast...1987 Avion 34V (twin bed/rear bathroom)
Why did I get this Avion? Spend time in a 2018 Rockwood Mini-Lite!!! 8-)
jack.bayes

Re: just got a 87 34v...help!!!

Post by jack.bayes »

Additional:

I'm thinking about getting a mini-split ac system. I would place the outside unit on the front and placing where the battery box is located. Right now, I have NO use for battery box. I have no intentions of being 'off-grid'.

Those mini-split ac's are so efficient they can solar. As I live on the gulf coast, I'm thinking that the ONLY thing I need after hurricane is solar for ac and fridge. So I'd just set my bank of panels up with battery(s) and run what I need.

But, moving to restore it to being off-grid will happen. and it might could now, I'll know more come Monday.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Hello, Jack, It looks like you will have a project there, but I hope the bones are good. In your projects, I can possibly get you some information on the window "operators". I have replaced several on our 1987 34W. I will look for that information.

For your roof vents, is any of the lift mechanism still there? One option is to replace the existing vent(s) with something like a Fantastic Fan. Several people have done that. The one over the front room of ours has an older Fantastic Fan that had been installed by a previous owner and still works well.

And I'm with you: Why would someone remove the vent hood over the stove??? Would have been nice if they had kept it..... they are next to impossible to find. Maybe you'll find a replacement to fit that space.

Keep us posted on your project. There is a LOT of experience here to glean from.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

I'll try to address your immediate needs list.
1. Stove Vent Hood - why in the world would someone remove that???? a tall person wanted more viewing space and didn't cook. After that, I got 'nuthin. A 24" range hood is a bit small but workable. The trick then is the 12 volt fan.
2. Front Window Rock Guard. Those are hard to come by. You have to either hunt and wait or the other option is to contact Tim Hienz in Panama City, Fl for a custom one. He's done a few and they look stellar, but I'm sure it isn't cheap.
3. All three roof vents are gone. No hardware. sometimes it's easier to start fresh than to repair. So, when you say no hardware, what I envision is basically a hole in the roof where the vent used to be installed - no cranks, covers or fan assembly. Hopefully the wiring is still there. Fantastic vents are the way to go, As for sources, Amazon, Camping world, ebay. They're 14 inches square - which is standard anymore.
4. Kitchen countertop is bubbled-up. It is functional, but dang looks bad. Corian would be my suggestion.
5. Control panel looks like crap. That's one of the nicest things about the avion is that panel. That's the only thing I really want to restore. Threw one away a month ago. Sorry. Recreating one isn't hard, but time consuming and requires the use of CAD software, the services of a plastic sheet CAM fabricator and a graphics design company, Refer to my control panel posts.
6. Windows - yep...the cranks are trashed (some aren't holding at all). refer to Razorbacks post
7. Table in the front area is missing. That might be a blessing. The one in mine was heavier than a dead minister. Is there any of the remaining hardware left for it? Fabricating one from 1 1/4 " poplar would be ok. Alternately, you can be as creative as you wish. Teak, Mahogany, ... The leg is an off the shelf item and can be found easily on line.
8. Trailer appears to have been flooded but floor is SOUND. No apparent electrical issues. mmm, Mississippi isn't that cool in the summer. You may want to consider a second AC unit - that would necessitate a 50 amp entrance. Depends on how much time you spend in it during the summer months. The good news there is that since your vents are all missing, you can easily slide a second AC unit into one of the open holes.
If you're looking for original items, then you're going to spend a fair amount of time hunting, Based on what I'm hearing (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you're going to be living in it in short order.
Looking at that futon in the forward area, you may want to consider something from Seatcraft to replace it with.

A parting suggestion. There are a number of detailed topics here that will assist you in your endeavors, a few of which you may not have discovered yet. (window seals, belt line, polishing ...) It's well worth the time to search through the forum and explore those topics. It may just save you some time.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Here is the link to a post I made about replacing the window operators:

https://www.aviontrailers.net/viewtopic ... tors#p4047

Here is a better price on the same part:

https://www.hardwareandtools.com/us-har ... -1413.html
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
jack.bayes

Post by jack.bayes »

Razorback,

MANY huge thanks for your posting about the window boxes. I just posted some ideals that I have as I'm wanting to see about 3-D printing to restore them instead of the cost of replacements as I have to do ALL of my windows. Just some ideals I'm thinking about from the pics you posted.

UPDATE-----------------------------3.31.21

So, as it stands massive progress has been made but OMG what shit we've found that we didn't know about.

The decision has been made to make this a rolling trailer (no boondocking). This past weekend I had a guy experienced in RV repair come and he fixed the Coleman unit. Motor was very much in need of teardown / oiling. Previously the breaker was so hot you couldn't touch it and was tripping. No longer. Unit works quite well.

Then he removed and resealed the entire roof (all vents). We also found that the PVP pipe used at the incoming water was SPLIT and dear lord did water go everywhere. That's now fixed.

Additional Info...

1. Fresh Water pump not connected (plugged ends). This was a deliberate removal of the pump. They disconnected it and just left it sitting there...yeah...I'm again scratching my head on this one.
2. MASSIVE refinishing of cabinets ongoing. Stepfather is getting rid of the veneer and sanding/staining. He let me know yesterday he's in the process of removing the countertop which is BEYOND gone. Dang it I'm going to be posting more pics for everyone to enjoy this.
3. Water heater - my plans are to REMOVE the old gas unit and replace with Instant-hot that the repairman suggested he personally uses on his own Avion. I'm still gathering information but you can bet IF I go this way there's going to be pictures for the entire change-out (hopefully). No, I do NOT want to keep gas for any reason.
4. Missing electrical plugs replaced and one very damaged one also replaced.
5. Currently removing the front battery box (only had the bottom). No plans to restore it. Plan to get sealed battery and put inside trailer. IF anyone is needing the bottom battery box for their unit let me know if it's going to be part of a restore. You can have it...only pay for shipping. :)
6. One speaker in the rear isn't working...easy fix (me hopes...)
7. The board over the water heater...does the word GONE mean anything? Crumbed in my hands trying to remove it for access to the water heater. Did have the carpet on top as our pattern so that's going to get replaced.
8. Trailer tongue has been sanded/primer/repainted. I only plan to have a 5-gal bottle for gas to the stove ((IF I ever want to use it...)) just so I can have that beautiful bottle cover in the front.
9. Still thinking about the split unit for additional ac/heat. But, if/when that comes it'll be a separate link because I'm going to detail that one personally. I want to have solar capacity quickly IF we get hit from a hurricane. This would be a definite picture every step of the process. My stepfather is HUGE into solar and is currently constructing a solar setup for his shop. As I'm removing the battery box, this will easily allow for putting the outside unit. Like I said, sure sounds cool doesn't it??? :) Sure is a serious consideration having lost power for 3 days when Zeta plowed us over last year. Or, for that matter, screw solar as that's what a generator is for! ROFL!!!

I know I could think of more. I just wish I had the original cushions for the table. Anyone have the set they want to sell me right away?

Tons of pics (hopefully) very shortly!!!
jack.bayes

Post by jack.bayes »

UPDATE: 4/9/21...

'Before the Storm...'

Well, reading the past post I'm just posting here to that title because the work-week is finally over and about to head home to again get back into the repairs and then plan to post pics and reupdate after this weekend...

So...scratch instant-hot water heater...why???...$1,800...yes...I was going for the best one on the market...AND I would have to take the 34V to Houston to meet with the service tech for the install.

Cheap Solution? A.O. Smith 6-gallon from Lowe's ($300). It's 120V, so going to run it on HD extension cord to the box where I'm parking so it's not on the 30A supply. My stepfather is getting his bathroom in the house. He was talking with the contractor who also does plumbing. Yep...can you see where this is going yet? $100 installed. not bad...not bad at all....

I also plan to have a power switch to MANUALLY turn the water heater on/off so I can divert the power to the kitchen. Why? glad you asked...

The stove was pure JUNK. Shot to heck. Let's just say a guy came by and was glad to take it off my hands for metal weight. I didn't trust it so since I'm doing the entire remodel on the kitchen cabinets, easy to pull and chunk. Because I now have NO gas inside and no desire for it, I'm going to be using a dual induction plate for my cooking needs. Power being diverted will be towards a new plug specifically for cooking needs.

Fridge: Now have a new 4.2cu/ft unit in there now. Nice and pretty.

Kitchen cabinet top: Have you been to Lowe's lately? As in $130 for a COUNTER-TOP??????? Yeah, NOT! We got a VERY NICE pine board that's being stained/sealed that we traced with the old countertop to put the sink in. Cost - $40.

You understand that I'm not made of $$$ right???

So, HOPEFULLY the weekend will include the following:

Kitchen completed.
Windows completed.
Water heater completed.

New LED's have been ordered for all fixtures. Should get that done this weekend as well. I'm also going to be hitting the stores for additional LED fixtures &/or ordering for additional needs.

Still need to get a vent hood ordered.

Still working on getting the vent lids made.

Oh...still have ALL the curtains / blinds to purchase and hang...

And then lastly...the cleaning of the inside...

THEN...I'm going to DETAIL this unit.

Yeah...not going to be done this weekend.

...I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...only cost...MY SANITY...

we now return you to your life...
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I don’t know how far along you are on purchasing range fans and roof mount ventilators. Here is some info on what I did to our trailer in 2017.

First, I opted for the MaxxAir ventilator over the Fantastic. It used to be a great product until Dometic bought the manufacturing rights. Quality suffered so bad that the original company wouldn’t recommend it. If you have recent data to the contrary, I would like to hear it.

Second, the company that invented the Fantastic Fans ( Fantastic Operating Products in Michigan) developed a range hood fan upgrade kit. It’s called the Sam-1-81 (named after the late inventor). It is 12v, 3 fan speeds and 2 LED light settings. You gut out everything inside the hood and install the new fan assembly.

I installed one in our range hood. It is “fantastic”! It’s roughly $200 on Amazon but might be cheaper elsewhere. I can send some pics if serious about it.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Bobbyz

Post by Bobbyz »

Just skimming through this morning.
On the water heater. When I skirted mine for Minnesota winters the gas had to go! Problem is the way they're built they are exposed to the outside temperature, that gets down to minus 40 here!
I was looking into a new water heater when on here or a Facebook group someone mentioned the Hott Rod electric conversation kit. At about 80 bucks I figured it was worth a shot but I was probably wasting 80 bucks and some time.
It worked great! Actually had more hot water than I did on gas. You can actually still use gas with the Hott Rod or both at once. I never used gas again with that camper right up until it burnt. Pulled another 83 34V home yesterday, it'll get a Hott Rod too, after I pull the unit and check the tank over for corrosion or a break from freezing! Welding shop in town only charged me 20 bucks to weld the last one I had that froze, they do a lot of them.

Other MUST DO.
If you have gray plastic plumbing replace it with PEX. The fittings WILL crack if they haven't yet THEY WILL!
While you're at it put shut off valves in for the tub, sinks, toilet and water heater. That way if you have an issue you can shut off one thing instead of the whole camper. If you're living in it that is really handy! Plus you don't have to drain the system if you need to replace something.
I can't stress getting rid of that OEM gray plumbing enough! I had three campers with before my first Avion and had multiple leaks in each one.
It's like running around on 30 year old tires that still hold air.
jack.bayes

Post by jack.bayes »

Update: 6/28/2021

The on-going saga to hades...

So where to begin...

This rv, without a doubt, has been an ongoing issue into the bowels of hell.

My family has continually railed at me to get the repairs complete so that I can remove it. The original purpose behind getting the unit (living in another state for work) ended last week. Found a new job not far from my home. But, why keep it? Well, don't have a choice. As we live on the MS Gulf Coast there's these little things called HURRICANES that are a constant threat. Last year, due to Zeta, we was without power for 3 days. The weather service...well...bless their little souls...they screwed us over and missed on the strength. Power poles bigger than you can believe was SNAPPED LIKE TWIGS. So, with the ever lovely prospect that a storm could destroy our home, my mother-in-law lives 2.5 hours inland here in MS. I have approval to park the trailer on their property as a place for either us (and our cats) to run to or my wife's brother as they live in New Orleans (we all know what fun a hurricane does to that place!!!)

After having spent $300 for a/c repair, it would have been better to have used the $ as toilet paper. That stupid Coleman started blowing fuses again. So, solution is to hang a window unit in the master and a large fan to move the air to equalize. Works quite well actually with a 6K unit. But, the unit is under cover so I need to upgrade but I have better things to spend the $ on right now.

The cabinets are finally coming together, but still not finished. They look very nice.

I was going to go with a round 6-gallon 120V tank, but yesterday found a RV electric/gas water heater. But of course it doesn't fit (smaller than original) so going to have to work on that as well.

The outside doors are just a nice slice of HELL just waiting for you to repair. Oh yes, what fun. The boards are OSB. When exposed to water the OSB of the 80's is WELL KNOWN for how the come apart. Screws that are locked in...oh you're in for a special slice of hell if you have to fix them. Word to the wise...nah...I'll let you discover that yourself...welcome to hell.

Lastly - the vent covers. Well...the good news is that the pizza pan works! New D-seals and I FINALLY have the vents COVERED perfectly!!!

I want an Avion, honest. After having missed the 30P and then getting this unit that I should have NEVER purcased due to the issues. I've grown deeply weary of the ongoing hell of trying to get it fixed and 40 miles from my home. Can't keep it on my property due to fencing so it has to stay at my moms.

Look, we're all entitled to our opinions. Not everything is rosy. Getting a unit with issues could be more than you want to deal with. But, I'll get over it and in MANY aspects I still love this unit. It's still got a job to do.