Holding tanks and water lines

Tips and tricks for cold weather use of your Avion
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Holding tanks and water lines

Post by KYAvion »

silverloaf wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:25 pm How do people handle the condensation that occurs between a warm interior and cold exterior?

Honestly the only condensation I’ve seen (besides the windows and the port for the tv antenna handle which just needs the addition of a little spray foam) was when it was literally down to ZERO degrees. I noticed some iced condensation inside the lower walls inside the kitchen cabinets (near the opening to the fresh water tank). There may have been some on the lower wall on either side of the entry door too. Other than that, I haven’t experienced any issues with condensation during “normal” cold temps around here (teens, 20’s, 30’s). The foam shell really helps to slow the heat transfer.

That said, I’m usually not using the Avion for more than 3-5 days at a time during the winter, so maybe it’d be different if I were full-timing or had longer stays.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Re: Holding tanks and water lines

Post by Salty »

my 2 cents worth. If you can install a heat strip (heating element is a more appropriate description IMO) in the AC unit, you will discover it pushes heat to the rear. The heat works best when the rearward duct is open anyway. I have 2 AC units with these heat strips and it makes for a warm bathroom and Kitchen, but a cool living room.
Regarding condensation, I run a dehumidifier year round - Houston, go figure. Lately it has gotten down to 29. Not Northwest Territories weather by any means, but enough to where the AC heat strips really can't keep up. Hence, the suburban LP gas heater is pressed into service. No condensation noted.
Because I full time, I left the fresh tank duct intact and added a pair of tank heaters to the black tank. They trip on when the temp dips below 53 degrees. I imagine it's to give them a head start for a dip or extended temps below 32 degrees.
On mine the living room duct was removed and capped off at the end of the kitchen cabinetry. So, I've considered getting one of those inline duct fans to re-open that duct and pull some heat into the living room.
Now If I could just get rid of these two stow away fly’s that keep pestering me, all will be well in my little microcosm.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.