Broken Axle

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Paul B Brodale

Broken Axle

Post by Paul B Brodale »

I am new at this "forum" stuff - so please bear with me - I have a 1984 31ft Avion travel travel trailer.
Yesterday, as I pulled out of the driveway, my driver's side, front wheel assembly literally broke off the end of the axle, on my Avion. It looks like it broke off right at the weld where the wheel assembly/knuckle is attached to the axle tube.
How should I go about fixing this?? I do have a replacement axle I purchased several years ago.
Paul B Brodale

Re: Broken Axle

Post by Paul B Brodale »

Here are some pictures of my broken wheel / axle non-assembly- - -
Attachments
DSCN1966.JPG
DSCN1967.JPG
DSCN1968.JPG
DSCN1969.JPG
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Paul B Brodale wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:25 pm Here are some pictures of my broken wheel / axle non-assembly- - -
I would consider using the spare axle, assuming of course the spindle is in good condition.

My concern in re-welding the broken spindle onto the axle is the accuracy necessary to preserve the camber and toe alignment of the tire.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Wow that thing just snapped right off. Any ideas about the cause of failure? Could this have been a repair job at some point that failed? Any signs of concern on the other spindles?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Paul B Brodale

Post by Paul B Brodale »

Thanks Silverloaf and KY Avion for your replies.
It looks like I will be using the spare axle - I called around yesterday (Ft Worth, TX area) and discovered, nobody really wants to work on the broken axle - started with a Dexter factory/plant locations in Indiana and Oklahoma; got referred to some TX trailer locations and got more referrals, but no service help. I was pretty sure going into the phone calls, that only a few places would probably have the know how to weld the axle back together properly -- does anybody know of a location that does this kind of work??
What caused the failure?? I don't know - I am pretty sure I was not over weight. I travel by myself. I have only owned the Avion for six years, and my Dad had it for six years prior to that. So, that leaves alot of of time (since 1984) unaccounted for.
Two of the four axle halves, have Dexter metal tags with weight limitation of 5200lbs max. I am assuming one tag is for two axle halves; therefore a max weight for the trailer of 10,400lbs and 5200lbs "per axle pair."
The "new axle" has a fleetwood sticker on it and also a Dexter metal tag, but no weight limitation. It appears to be the same style. It does look like the spindle is useable; just needs some cleaning up.
Are there any tips to how the actual replacement of the axle should proceed?? Looks pretty straight forward with removing the four nuts off the spring hanger U-bolts and the nut/bolt from the center of the trailer mount.
One thing, it looks like I need a new bushing for the center trailer mounting bolt - anybody know where I can get one??

Again, thanks for your inputs!!

Paul B.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Silverloaf came up with this for a pivot bushing.... beware, from his post: “ One last comment on the pivot bushing. They are a PITA to remove and install. It took me over an hour to beat the original bushing out of the pin bore. The bushing's steel carrier had practically welded itself to the pin bore due to rust. I tried using heat but that made the rubber core smoke and angry; same for me.

At that point, I scooped up the axles and headed to a near-by shop with a stationary press. After an hour or so, I was back in business.”

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_tru ... drive.html
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Razorback wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:49 am Silverloaf came up with this for a pivot bushing.... beware, from his post: “ One last comment on the pivot bushing. They are a PITA to remove and install. It took me over an hour to beat the original bushing out of the pin bore. The bushing's steel carrier had practically welded itself to the pin bore due to rust. I tried using heat but that made the rubber core smoke and angry; same for me.

At that point, I scooped up the axles and headed to a near-by shop with a stationary press. After an hour or so, I was back in business.”

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_tru ... drive.html
How could I forget? Even the shop I used had difficulty squaring up the bushing to the axle bore during pressing.

I suspect there was a casting flaw in Paul's axle. The break appears too clean to think it was due strictly to overload.

By the way, you have a great memory!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Paul B Brodale

Post by Paul B Brodale »

Thanks to everyone for their inputs - it is a lot of help!!

I talked with Chuck Cayo today (the Avion Guy) - he also recommended using the replacement axle and indicated I may have to reuse the bushing -- so, thanks for the heads up on problems with removing it.

I did get the "broken axle" removed from the trailer today - I am lining up a machine shop with a press to help with removing the busing. more to follow . . . . .

Paul B
Paul B Brodale

Post by Paul B Brodale »

Hello Everybody - I have finished the project; after receiving and then installing the flange bushing (thanks Chuck Cayo). The new axle was ready to be installed, which after a little grinding on the welds, the spring shackle bolts slid into place and nuts tightened. I also bought a new shock to replace the old one, which was banged up by the wheel assy separating from the axle. Finally, the tire was replaced too as the old one was banged around in the wheel.
After assembly, I drove the trailer and tow vehicle over to the public scales at a Love's Truck stop and got some weights. Good news, the trailer was not over grossed.
Take care and everybody stay safe!!

Paul B (AK Avion)
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Great news! Glad you got that project finished!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???