Avion sell prices

A general discussion forum
Nelsonpharmd

Re: Avion sell prices

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Figured I'd keep this post going with another pricing question. Obviously prices have skyrocketed since COVID, but what do you guys think about the rig below for $12k? It's a 1988 and I'm going up to MS to see it next weekend. Looks like it's missing part of the banana wrap (or whatever it's called in the Avion world). Don't have pictures of the inside that I can share but I have seen them and they look to be okay. Look fairly stock from 1988 with updated flooring. Do you guys think I'm overpaying for $12k???
Attachments
IMG_20210306_091456.jpg
IMG_20210306_091440.jpg
IMG_20210306_091451 (1).jpg
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

It would appear the Avion in the pic is a rear bedroom model. Our '88 30P has single beds in the mid-section and a rear bath.

We purchased ours in 2017 from a seller in mid-Michigan for $8500. The interior and exterior were clean. But we had major floor rot and rusted-out steel cross-members that were hidden by the belly pan. By the time I got done with the restoration (which included things like tankless water heater, upgraded suspension, full interior improvements, etc.) we had invested another $5K into the trailer. Thus, our investment into our Avion is roughly $13,500.

You didn't mention where your trailer is located nor pics of the interior. If it's in a southern environment, chances are it didn't see cold temperatures and high moisture content. From what I see from the outside, it looks pretty clean. The aluminum propane tank cover are hard to come by. If the main awning works, that's a plus; ours was destroyed by wind before we bought it.

If you send me a private e-mail, we can exchange phone numbers. I can describe the issues and solutions I used for ours. Again, a lot has to do with the climate in which it was stored.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Bob - sent you an email with my contact info. Let's connect for sure. I don't have any pictures of the interior. Once I get them I can share them. I'm in Florida and the current owner says the floor is solid, but we'll see when I see it in person next week. I don't mind doing some work, but after having done a similar rear subfloor repair on our 72 argosy/airstream I don't want to go down that route again. Hopefully she's in better shape in person than our argosy was when we first got her.

Interestingly, I've seen local sales for older avions for up to $30k!!!!! That just seems outrageous to me. I figured $12k is still a little more than I want to pay but not earth shattering....

I posted a thread on the exterior renovation page about the fact that the banana wrap behind one of the wheels is missing. It's easy to replace that in airstreams but I wasn't sure about avions. Depending on if it's difficult or not may sway my idea of whether I think I'm overpaying for this rig or not LOL
Salty

Post by Salty »

Define updated flooring. New sub-floor? New Click Flooring? New Linoleum?
While the market prices have been rather illogical, some gems can be had, depending on how motivated the seller is. For $12K I would expect a majority if not all the major appliances to work AC, Stove, furnace, refrigerator, water heater ...

I put together a list here somewhere (in draft format, but still...) of things to check, paramount I believe would be checking for rot in the four corners, door entry and in the cargo hatch area. These are known problem areas in Avions.
Depending on how much time and facilities you have available, hooking up water and shore power would be useful.
IMHO plumbing, window seals, roof leaks , water heater, furnace, stove & refrigerator issues can be easily conquered. Some of these are more of a pain than others, but easily recoverable. Floor rot is a project unto itself and if you were so inclined to repair floor rot, then that may be a negotiating point. If that is a project that isn't in your skill set/time allotment, then upon discovering floor rot, walk away.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Nelsonpharmd wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:30 pm I posted a thread on the exterior renovation page about the fact that the banana wrap behind one of the wheels is missing. It's easy to replace that in airstreams but I wasn't sure about avions. Depending on if it's difficult or not may sway my idea of whether I think I'm overpaying for this rig or not LOL
Two years ago, that piece of sheet metal that is missing on the Avion in the photos, cost me $550 to replace. Cayo would be the only source and you would expect to wait 6 to 10 weeks for its' arrival
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Nelsonpharmd

Post by Nelsonpharmd »

Hey Salty. Thanks for those thoughts. As far as checking for floor rot in the corners, I imagine that's only done by dropping the belly pan? I know for my airstream I actually removed the belly pan (and kept it off) so that I could easily glance down there every so often and keep an eye on things. I guess I'm just not sure how easily I could check those areas while inspecting the rig located at someone else's house. What do you think?
Salty

Post by Salty »

You make a good point. To inspect the floor for rot, you'd use an ice pick or a razor knife. I like an ice pick - less visible damage. you do so from the top. There are a number of threads here that describe the floors construction makeup. Avail yourself of the research. If the floor is rotten it will sink quite easily.

Look at this another way. While it may be considered rude to plunge an ice pick into someone else's trailer floor, you'd be be quite upset to discover floor rot and spend $500 - $1000 in materials and 36 - 96 hours removing the furniture fixtures and interior sheet metal, removing the floor and then reassembling. That's a conservative estimate based on one end or the other having rot. Double that is it's at both ends.
On the other hand, you'll be moderately rude for - what? 15 - 45 minutes? and you'll never see the owner again. It's your money. Unless you won the lottery, I'm sure you worked hard for it.
Don't be afraid to walk away.
Here's another way to look at it. While these trailers aren't growing on trees, there is a good number of them around. Would you prefer to spend $12K and do a number of repairs over the course of 1/2/3 summers or pay $20K and turn key?
I'm a fan of sweat equity. But I would spare you redoing a floor if I could. It's an education you really don't want. But, if fixer uppers are your thing (like me) then by all means plow ahead.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Sorry to come in late to this discussion.... but here's a suggestion.

Open every outside lower compartment covers and look up to the underside of the first layer of flooring. I would think that if there was any substantial damage or signs of leaking, there would be evidence in the plywood. While inside, be sure to step on every inch of the floor that you can walk on. Feel for any sponginess you feel under foot. Open every cabinet and look under every bed, couch, dinette seat, etc.

Some owners will do cosmetic repairs of the open areas, but not focus on the hidden areas.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

You could open the outside storage compartments and see the condition of the subfloor and frame around the perimeters. Also, marks on the linoleum flooring usually indicate water damage. Most floor rots are near the entry door, and around the curved areas of front/back of the trailer.

P.S. I see that Razorback suggested the same thing!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Rostam wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:33 pm ..........P.S. I see that Razorback suggested the same thing!
Great minds think alike!!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???