New Windows

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
leighlandon

New Windows

Post by leighlandon »

After working to rebuild the original windows in our Avion, and not quite getting them to our liking, we decided to buy new windows from Motion Windows out of WA. https://www.rvwindows.com

We replaced all windows except the front window with Double Pane Solar Glass and black anodized frames. They had several different styles, but really liked the large sliders. All have metal screens. They attach not with screws thru the skin, but rather with a clamp frame from the inside.

We had previously taken all the windows out to measure ( and measured about 10 times per window :D ) and we installed all 8 windows in about a day.
Not very difficult, must have 2 people. I had to trim the opening slightly for 3 windows.

We had rain moving in so didn't document as well as I should have, but thought I would share.

This is where we are in our restoration, lots to do, but our best progress to date.
Attachments
All but 1 window in.
All but 1 window in.
Window Crate and last window
Window Crate and last window
Close up of closed cell foam and window
Close up of closed cell foam and window
Window Opening Outside
Window Opening Outside
Window Opening inside
Window Opening inside
Inside all windows in
Inside all windows in
Outside Passenger side
Outside Passenger side
Outside Drivers side
Outside Drivers side
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
Rostam

Re: New Windows

Post by Rostam »

Looks great! Do these windows slide open/shut?
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
leighlandon

Post by leighlandon »

Thank you, they do about in half.
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thats very nice. I like these windows better than the original.

One more Q: how did you lift your trailer? I have been thinking about doing the same and wanted to lower the jack, put wood blocks underneath the bumper, then raise the jack and put wood blocks under the A-frame. But I am not sure whether the frame can handle this, or if there is a better way to do this.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
leighlandon

Post by leighlandon »

Yeah it might be too much of a span. I used 4x4s and a 3 ton jack. I jacked the frame near the wheels and put 4x4's on 5 points A Frame, and before and behind each set of wheels. I wished I would have went one more level up. When I was zooming around on my creeper to pull the axles out it would have been better to have a little more room.
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

leighlandon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:05 pm Yeah it might be too much of a span. I used 4x4s and a 3 ton jack. I jacked the frame near the wheels and put 4x4's on 5 points A Frame, and before and behind each set of wheels. I wished I would have went one more level up. When I was zooming around on my creeper to pull the axles out it would have been better to have a little more room.
Thank you.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Salty

Post by Salty »

Which version of their windows did you get and what was the cost. Great work, by the way.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
leighlandon

Post by leighlandon »

Thanks Salty, 1800 series, each one has slightly different dimensions, average of $500 per window. Lots of different options for how the window slides and for finish. This shop has the expertise for the front window, but it will take me bringing the trailer to them to get it right. Once the trailer is road ready it might be one of our first trips. It would be nice to get a double paned front window.
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Those windows look awesome, and I commend you for going to the time, expense, and the labor for this project!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

+1 , What Razorback said.
Question for you: Did you discuss window maintenance with them? As in, what wears out, seals to replace and so forth?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.