flipping the axles

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Markinalaska

flipping the axles

Post by Markinalaska »

I was pondering last night about the possibility of flipping the axle from a drop to a rise. if you were to weld on a new spring mount plate it looks like it should just flip right over giving a 4" rise for easier boon docking. Since these trailers have independent suspension the camber isn't built into the axle so that's not a problem. It might cause some torque issues though. Has anyone ever tried this on an Avion?
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Re: flipping the axles

Post by silverloaf »

I've been thinking about your axle "what if" scenario. Opinions on websites range from "no problem" to "you're nuts".

When you flip the axles, you change the center of gravity. This, in turn, changes the torque reaction to the spindle, as well as the pivot point at the center bracket. Since the pivot eye bolt is supported by a sleeve inside a rubber bushing, I suspect the bushing would a undergo a shear-effect in proportion to the torque roll. This may cause premature wear to the bushing. Sharp turns, quick stops and pot holes could certainly amplify the twist condition on the bushing as well.

So far as the camber is concerned, flipping the axle would require moving the center pivot point to a lower hole in center support. This would be necessary to get the camber back to the pre-flip position.

Anyway, this is how I see it. I'm sure you thought through all of this. But have you considered rise blocks between the axle and the springs?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

The way my axles are set up they sit on top of the springs so blocks between them would actually lower the trailer. The shear issue was one of the problems that I had thought of. I was just thinking online with this question to see what anyone else thought. I’m not sure it would work as I’ve never seen a 4” drop axle standing on its head, so to speak. But I do know they make 4” rise axles. But I can’t recall seeing any for larger trailers, only small ones. So maybe that’s the final answer :).
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

People flip axles all the time for either more ground clearance off road or accommodate a lifted vehicle.
Are your axle tubes square? Then you don’t need a mounting plate just undo everything flip the spring to the top of the axle and bolt it back up. Btw use new u bolts. Only time yiu need new spring pads if it’s a Round axle tube
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Overdrive wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:17 pm People flip axles all the time for either more ground clearance off road or accommodate a lifted vehicle.
Are your axle tubes square? Then you don’t need a mounting plate just undo everything flip the spring to the top of the axle and bolt it back up. Btw use new u bolts. Only time yiu need new spring pads if it’s a Round axle tube
That might be true. But you have seen anyone flip round, fully-independent axles?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

No. IFS suspensions need a kit. But there is nothing stopping you from fabricating a subframe that bolts to the existing frame to act as a spacer to lower the mounting points thus lifting the trailer.