Suspension update

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Markinalaska

Suspension update

Post by Markinalaska »

After I got all my axle pieces parts off the trailer I noticed that the frame had a coating on it that was coming off in most places. Seemed to be some kind of rubber coating and it was a pain to remove but I managed. I heard of others using a coating on the frame that I can’t get where I live. So, I didn’t want to just paint it because that wouldn’t last more than a few miles before it started to come off from the rocks and other road debris. I ended up buying Herculiner truck bed coating because I was able to basically paint it on. The end result looks like it should hold up way better than paint itself. This stuff is thick and hard when it dries. I know, that’s what she said :lol: . Anyway, I’ve included a couple of pics of the finished look. It only took a quart with a little left over for any touch ups I might have to do.
79F39793-073E-4362-BA01-0568EF1A6BB3.jpeg
40CF85CA-E7A5-46B6-89F0-D48232655B1D.jpeg
Close up of axle hanger
4F7C7E10-F0A4-4DB6-8936-EF3C03FD5742.jpeg

I have also ran new wire to each axle and used marine grade wire with waterproof connections because when I removed the standard wire nuts that were on the trailer the wires had some major corrosion on them. I planned on ordering the wire and probably should have because locally I bought 40’ for more than I could have bought 100’ online. But it was here and handy so I bought it. I also found an issue with the aluminum tank supports that went under the center tank. One end on both had busted the screws holding them on. So I removed them and the fiberglass insulation under the tank and replaced it with 1.5” ridged foam that I already had, the whole thing looks much cleaner now.
9C6193CD-0AA5-42C1-B798-79C6AC090BB7.jpeg
62F56349-32FD-41D2-9698-0E8BDEAF0372.jpeg
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Re: Suspension update

Post by silverloaf »

The center tank in our 30P is potable water. The gray water tank is in front of it. The black water tank is in the rear. The center tank is sandwiched between the sub-floor and a sheet of 3/4" plywood below. The plywood is the screwed to metal on its end points. It's a PITA trying to lift the tank and plywood into position, at the same time running down the fasteners. From your pics, it seems you have aluminum supports and not plywood. That's good!

I've heard reports of people losing the center tank on the highway due to plywood rot. It kinda reminds me of the movie "The Great Race"where engines and transmissions fall out of vehicles due to the nefarious actions of Peter Falk.

I like your under-body protection process. I used a similar product in the wheel houses to keep moisture from getting into places like the storage compartments.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

Yeah those aluminum supports had broke loose and had punctured the belly skin near the frame, that’s how I noticed that they needed attention. My center tank looks like it could use a good cleaning but that’s going to have to wait until next year. After all I don’t have the water heater installed or the pump so presently it’s a dry trailer. I really need to get my suspension back together so I can get the trailer off the blocks. Living in an earthquake prone area concerns me having it elevated like it is.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Agree. I worked on our suspension and brakes first. Then we replaced some some sub-frame pieces around the black tank that failed due to rust-out. Floor replacement in the rear followed that.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
leighlandon

Post by leighlandon »

Mark,

What gauge wire did you run to your axles?
Thanks,

Landon
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

leighlandon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 pm Mark,

What gauge wire did you run to your axles?
Thanks,

Landon
Landon,
I used 12 gauge marine wire. I ended up removing the wire nuts that I had bought for this project because once I had it all put together I wasn’t getting any brake voltage to the rear brakes. Ended up that one of the wires had pulled from the wire nut. So I removed all of those and soldered everything together and then used marine heat shrink tubing with the internal glue to weather proof everything. That fixed it up and there’s now no chance that they will ever come apart again. Brakes are adjusted, at least I think they are, I will find out once I tow it and test everything out in a parking lot. They seem to all lock up when I apply maximum brakes from the controller so I’m hoping they will be alright. They are a real PTA to adjust and then get the plugs back on.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab