50 amp and new wiring

110 volt, 12 volt, Batteries, Converters and Inverters, Solar
Kara

Re: 50 amp and new wiring

Post by Kara »

What power center is ignition proof? How would you make a leak proof enclosure. This is a issue I have never heard about before.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

@Salty Given a standard propane water heater is sealed along the exterior skin, wouldn’t a propane leak at the water heater connection go outside since the connection is essentially outside? The connection for the furnace, however, seems like it’d be more of an issue should there be a leak.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Kara

Post by Kara »

I just checked in progressive dynamics Paperwork and it says Is not ignition proof and you should not install their power centers in the LP container or the battery compartment. I sent them an email to ask them whether being near a lp appliance is an issue? Or is it the actual lp containers that are the concern.
Kara

Post by Kara »

I read lp compartment to mean where the tanks are.
Salty

Post by Salty »

KYAvion wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:09 pm @Salty Given a standard propane water heater is sealed along the exterior skin, wouldn’t a propane leak at the water heater connection go outside since the connection is essentially outside? The connection for the furnace, however, seems like it’d be more of an issue should there be a leak.
where is the gas inlet? It doesn't enter from the outside. On a Precision tankless, it's on the rear, inside the RV. The same for Girard. Atwood and Suburban 6 gallon tank heaters are at the side, inside the skin.

The difference between the ignition of a gas leak in a compartment with an LP tank and a leak in a compartment with a leaking gas union is only the size of the explosion. Keep in mind, the gas will flash off. In the compartment with the leaking union the detonation will be exponentially smaller, it's then about what it catches on fire and with no method to remove the flow of gas, the supply pipe becomes the fuel source.
Fume proof enclosures exist.
So the take aways from this:
Ensure the gas connection to the water heater isn't leaking. You'd do that anyway. If you mount the power center in the vicinity of a gas line, be aware the potential exists for a fire.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Kara

Post by Kara »

This is new to me. I’ll see what PD says. I looked at WFCO and the have the same disclaimer “ not ignition proof don’t install in battery/LP compartment”. I’ve seen pictures of WFCO’s power centers factory installed under the oven next to the refrigerator. Is there a brand that doesn’t have the disclaimer? How far should a power center be from a lp appliance. Would a gas containment also restrict needed ventilation for the power center?
Salty

Post by Salty »

good questions. I don't have the answers to them. I just bypassed the whole issue. How you chose to address it is up to you.
From NFPA 1192 section 3.3.1.2 Compartment. Within a recreational vehicle, a volumetric
space designed to provide for a separate area.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Kara

Post by Kara »

I went on camping worlds site to look at where they put the power centers. The most common place is under the lp oven or lp refrigerator. Looks like wfco is generally used and they have the same disclaimer. So I think Avions original placement is still proper code and I’m ok to put a replacement back there. I think the major concern they are warning about is if installed in a tiny compartment with a leaking lp tank the gas level could get extremely high. So for me I think I’ll replace it there and take your advice to put a lp detector nearby. Though if you moved yours it is never a bad idea to go the extra mile for safety.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

@Salty On my 6 gal Atwood Water heater the gas inlet is inside the assembly that houses the direct spark ignition, burner tube, etc. That said, the copper line goes through a rubber grommet, so it isn’t air tight. I appreciate your input and I’m going to add a little silicone to that grommet to seal it up real well.

You’ve got me thinking now about my propane furnace, which of course has a gas inlet that is entirely inside the trailer. Would you recommend the LP detector be located closer to the furnace, or closer to the 50 amp panel?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

Looking at my LP/CO detector instructions, it only states close to the floor, since the gases are heavier than air. It says nothing about close to the source of a leak. I only recommended placing an LP gas detector inside the area of the water heater/power center (On a 34V that's under the bathroom cabinets) since it is a potential fire hazard (Early detection).
While we're on the subject, LP/CO detectors should be replaced every 5 - 7 years (based on different mfr specs). Some have a clock built in and apparently when the clock runs out they're rather insistent they be replaced.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250