Dometic RM761 fridge - issues??

Kitchen tips and recipes
zoomjay

Dometic RM761 fridge - issues??

Post by zoomjay »

I have a Dometic RM761 in my 1970 Ultra 26. When I bought it, it only worked on gas, no electric. I worked on it a bit today and tried to figure out what had been done to it before (somebody has been re-wiring). In the photo below I found two wires which are not connected (black one and green/yellow on). Does anybody have any suggestions on where they should go?

Oh yeah... after I opened it up... I cannot get it to work on gas either... and I have no voltage going to the heater (which I did replace since I had a new one). Any ideas or suggestions? I would prefer to fix/repair this one although, if it is a hugely better idea... I am willing to ponder a replacement (this thing is 50 years old after all...).
Attachments
fridge wires (1).JPG
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Dometic RM761 fridge - issues??

Post by KYAvion »

Is there a 12v fuse for the fridge somewhere that could have blown? Maybe up front behind the control panel? Anyone know?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

As far as electric, do you definitely have juice at the 110v outlet that the fridge is plugged into?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

I had our friendly, local RV tech come by yesterday and he pointed out that the coil is gone... and the best path is to replace it and associated parts. While not cheap, it is cheaper than new and we will know that our 50 year old fridge will live to cool another day....
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Good to hear you got a fix.

I like the idea of keeping the old stuff going rather than replacing with an entire new unit. Sometimes, that is more practical than others, but ultimately it is a personal/financial choice.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

Agreed.... and while the fridge is in good shape the styling looks like it was made in 1969... which it was! I am going to try to keep it all as stock as I can - that is part of the beauty of this trailer I think...