Axle progress

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Markinalaska

Axle progress

Post by Markinalaska »

Just wanted to show a progression of my axles.
The one on the right is as it was when I removed it from the trailer. The center one has had the major rust knocked off before the rust treatment. The left one has been coated with the rust neutralizer which turns black when dry. No paint on it yet.
7EF01705-6160-465A-B0BB-6C0AB8566C89.jpeg
Here’s the hangers before and after treatment. Again no paint yet.
D41D12A8-FF92-4358-ACC8-84A7A6663F58.jpeg
I was going to have them sandblasted but my hubs turned out so good and they want 300.00 per hour here including set up time so this is it. Plus they look great. Once painted they will be FABULOUS.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Re: Axle progress

Post by silverloaf »

Very nice outcome, Mark. I did essentially the same procedure as you.

I used Rust-o-leum rusty metal primer primer after I buzzed the parts with a wire wheel. The result was great.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

silverloaf wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:20 pm Very nice outcome, Mark. I did essentially the same procedure as you.

I used Rust-o-leum rusty metal primer primer after I buzzed the parts with a wire wheel. The result was great.
Thanks Bob,
I’m using permatex rust treatment as the base coat. I’ve been using it for years on my ocean boats when things start getting rusty as all metal does on ocean boats. It does a great job of setting the metal up for painting and stopping rust in its tracks. I expect many years of these looking great from all of this. At least I’m hopeful :lol:. I figured if it works in the salt environment of my boat it should work great on a land boat. I plan on using a rust-o-leum paint once I’m finished. It takes a few coats of the permatex to get the desired look and feel before painting.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

On a side note, I thought I would save a few bucks and remove my own tires to redo my rims. I’m not sure if they were original or not but after a few hours on the first one I’m taking them to the tire shop. I tried to break the bead with my high lift jack and my truck, all that did was collapse the tire. I did get it off with a sawsall, Dremel tool, lots of elbow grease, 1 broken screwdriver and lots of cuss words. Take my advice unless your tires are fairly new don’t try and do them yourself.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Mark -
Thanks for the tip on Permatex.

I didn't mess with removing the old tires. Our trailer has aluminum wheels. Not worth the risk of damage.

Were you able to clean/paint your rims before having new tires installed?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

silverloaf wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:23 pm Mark -
Thanks for the tip on Permatex.

I didn't mess with removing the old tires. Our trailer has aluminum wheels. Not worth the risk of damage.

Were you able to clean/paint your rims before having new tires installed?
Bob,
I am still in the process of cleaning the rims. I’ve had boating outdrive issues to also deal with and summers are short here so it’s hard to work on the trailer as much as I need to when there are fish calling me. I believe that I will be able to get the rims to look almost as good as new when finished with the process. Right now the trailer is on blocks and I still need a few parts to get it back together. As for the Permatex it’s actually my second choice as I ran out of locktite rust neutralizer which I think is a better solution than the permatex. Although the permatex does a fine job, the locktite seems to give a darker black when dry. I wasn’t able to find that locally and I had permatex at work so I’ve been using it. Of course I found that Amazon has the locktite so I just ordered two bottles of that. Either one works it’s just when seeing them side by side the locktite appears darker. I’m not sure if that’s better or not I don’t really know but aesthetically it looks better to me.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab