Road trip to Baton Rouge, LA

Anything related to traveling with an Avion
Razorback

Road trip to Baton Rouge, LA

Post by Razorback »

We have been enjoying a trip to Baton Rouge. Arrived here a week ago yesterday and will be home Tuesday. We split the travel into 2 days, stopping overnight in Shreveport. We stayed at the KOA there. It is a nice place, well cared for, and staffed by friendly people.
It has been typically hot, humid, and rains regularly. The coated, white reflective roof is much appreciated here. This morning I am sitting at the front table enjoying a cup of coffee and doing my regular Avion stuff on the web. One of the best things: I am listening to a good rain shower on the roof, not worrying a BIT about leaks!
The combination of the interior FridgeFix fan and the exterior fans behind the fridge have helped the fridge do a great job in the heat.

We have had a great time here with friends..... we have seen some cool sites..... we have eaten lots of good food!

This has been our longest-distance trip we have taken.... right at 600 miles from home.
Attachments
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Re: Road trip to Baton Rouge, LA

Post by Salty »

"REQUEST PERMISSION TO COME ABOARD, SIR!"
A time when sailors were meant for ships and ships were meant for sea.
Thanks for sharing the photos.The flag is a nice touch as well.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

wow wow wow! I can hardly wait to take a real road trip. thanks for sharing!!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Salty wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:20 pm "REQUEST PERMISSION TO COME ABOARD, SIR!"
A time when sailors were meant for ships and ships were meant for sea.
Thanks for sharing the photos.The flag is a nice touch as well.
Thank you for noticing the flag..... proudly "flown"!!!
I used some snaps to fasten it to the awning, then use a bungee strap between it and a storage compartment latch to keep it straight.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Had some vacation that needed to to be taken, so we made a 2nd trip to Baton Rouge! We left on Aug 21, spent the night in Shreveport, got to Baton Rouge on Saturday the 22nd. Got home this evening.

Of course, we were keeping an eye on the weather! First gulf storm fizzled out before it got to the New Orleans area. For the hurricane, I was fully expecting to have to vacate Baton Rouge and maybe go northeast to Hattiesburg, MS or somewhere like that, but as the storm got closer, the NWS kept pushing it west, taking Baton Rouge out of the path. We stayed, and just got brushed by the extreme outer bands of the hurricane on its east side. That's definitely the closest I care to EVER be to a monster like that. We were in the east side of Baton Rouge.... weather was definitely worse as close by as downtown Baton Rouge and just across the Mississippi River. My heart goes out to the people that were affected by the devastation caused by that storm.

Otherwise, the weather was typical Baton Rouge...... 90's and 99% humidity most of the time. The air conditioner was really wringing out a lot of water from the air..... there was a constant puddle of condensation on the ground. The roof kept the inside nice and cool: most of the time the A/C was on low fan speed and not maximum cooling, but close. The outside skin of the trailer eventually started condensing moisture from the air. It had a constant covering of moisture on it, reminded me of what it looks like on a cool Fall morning when it had dew on it.

Yesterday as we were making our way back to Shreveport, we saw a lot of wind damage in Alexandria, LA. Trees down all over the place, siding missing from homes that had vinyl on them, road signs down, etc. Some roofs were damaged. We stopped for fuel there. The station was only accepting cash due to no network access to process cards at the pump. The attendant inside said it was estimated that her power at home would be out for a week.

Started the day today with a phone call at 05:45 saying that a family member on my wife's side had passed away. :( Driving today, we saw a lot of flooding from Texarkana to Ft. Smith. The remnant of the hurricane had tracked through that area and dumped a LOT of rain there, and it was raining today. Just before we got to Ft. Smith it stopped raining. Luckily it had not rained much at home in NW Arkansas..... we need the ground to be pretty solid to get the Avion into the back yard, so that worked out perfectly. Prayer answered again! Another 1200 mile round trip under our belt.

We are planning to go again next April!

Our next planned outing is Red Rock Canyon again, in October out in Hinton, OK west of Oklahoma City.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W