30p Twin Bed Problem

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
Texasunit

30p Twin Bed Problem

Post by Texasunit »

I'm going to be living in my 30p full-time and am trying to decide how to replace the two twins and have one bigger bed that isn't in the way all of the time. Ive measured how far even just a full size would stick out in the hallway and it seems like way too much. Wondering if anyone on here has explored any murphy/ folding bed options inside their trailer? Open to anything!
1984 30p
RISK

Re: 30p Twin Bed Problem

Post by RISK »

I take it you have the two twins midship, yes?

Could you post some pictures and measurements to help you get some ideas?

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
RISK

Post by RISK »

Here’s what the double bed option looked like as well as a link the the sales brochure...
B7187D9C-9D22-41AA-A4F0-B041108A914A.png
https://www.gradeless.com/avion/1984/1984.pdf

Hope that helps...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Texasunit wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:17 am I'm going to be living in my 30p full-time and am trying to decide how to replace the two twins and have one bigger bed that isn't in the way all of the time. Ive measured how far even just a full size would stick out in the hallway and it seems like way too much. Wondering if anyone on here has explored any murphy/ folding bed options inside their trailer? Open to anything!
We have an '88 30P; same layout as yours. The twin mattresses are not true twin compared to household equivalents; they are both shorter and narrower. We slept in our trailer full-time for 3 months while getting our house ready to sell. The beds were rather comfortable but the length and width were problematic for me. My wife, much smaller in stature than me, slept like a baby.

It's hard for me to pin the turd specifically on the mattress.I was fraught with anxiety, physical fatigue and a long to-do list. I'm not sure any mattress would have satisfied me at that time.

You can do most anything; you're the owner. There are both spacial and functional implications on re-inventing the wheel. Perhaps you could remove both beds and determine whether a cross-trailer mattress would meet your expectations. If you are indecisive on the end result, sell the rascal and find something that fits your lifestyle.

I don't mean to sound harsh or brash. You are wise enough to make the right decision to meet your needs.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Salty

Post by Salty »

What Risk posted is what is would have looked like from the factory. To retrofit something like this would require relocating the bathroom door. As I recall, there would have been a 13 - 14 inch shift. I considered doing this myself. In the end, I bought a 12" twin mattress and called it good. I was unwilling to make the change required.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Bobbyz

Post by Bobbyz »

Bit late to the party. I'm also considering moving the bathroom door on my 34V with Twin beds. Then just going with one bed as wide as would fit, a standard Twin mattress is pretty close to what Avion called a double.
Truth be told I'd rather have a W with the bathroom in the middle and the back bedroom. Trying to retrofit is a bigger job than I want to tackle! Mostly because of the unique bathtub and shower. If one of those was handy I'd be just dumb enough to do it.
This particular 34V needs a lot of work inside so originality isn't a big concern at this point.