Axle hangers from Dexter

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Markinalaska

Axle hangers from Dexter

Post by Markinalaska »

Well I just received my new suspension kit for hanging the leaf springs and it seems to be a smaller set than what I took off. According to Dexter I needed the light hanger assembly so that’s what I ordered. But the measurements are 5 3/4” between the Center hanger bushing centers and the ones I took off are 6 1/8” between those same points. The new ones are also about 1/2” shorter from the top to the bottom. I know things change on trailers and was wondering if these would be an issue to use. They’re both for 33” axle spacing which throws me off a bit since they’re so different in the measurements. I’ve looked at their heavy duty ones and they are also smaller than the ones I’m taking off. Which means that if these aren’t useable for my application then I might just end up cleaning up the old ones and putting new bushings in them and call it good. The shipping for me to send these back makes it not worth the trouble as I will have more in the shipping total than the cost of the order. Any opinions on this will be greatly appreciated. Just one more thing that makes me go hmmmm. :roll:
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Re: Axle hangers from Dexter

Post by silverloaf »

Call Dexter Technical Support and run it by them. Try 574-295-7888. Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm EST.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

silverloaf wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:07 pm Call Dexter Technical Support and run it by them. Try 574-295-7888. Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm EST.
Thanks Silverloaf,
I called and talked to Jim at Dexter and he said that they will work fine. The set will work up to 6 1/4” inch spacing which is exactly what I have now. Which is what I was hoping for. Although they don’t appear as heavy as the ones being removed. I might just end up using the new bolts and reusing the old parts with new bushings anyway. Although trying to get those little plastic sleeve bushings out is a lot more difficult than it looks like it should be. One thing I forgot to ask Jim was if the new hangers would drop the trailer lower since they are not as tall as the old ones. Which is why I’m leaning toward reusing the old ones. The new shocks I bought are already pushing the limit on height for this trailer. I’m going to have to space the lower shock mounts down about 3/4” just to make sure I don’t snap the upper mounts off the frame.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I recall cleaning up and re-using the OEM hangers. Beyond that, every replacement part fit like a glove.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P