Looking for rear left (shower) inside skin

Aluminum trailers and parts wanted
Justin

Looking for rear left (shower) inside skin

Post by Justin »

The trailer I purchased this week was missing the inner skin for the rear left corner, or the corner with the shower in it. I have my doubts as to whether or not I’ll be able to locate one, so does anyone have any ideas on options I might have?
Attachments
B5296290-5AC5-4DF5-A213-B95DB2ADD83B.jpeg
Justin
Bloomingdale, IN
1973 25’ Travelcader
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Duramax
RISK

Re: Looking for rear left (shower) inside skin

Post by RISK »

Justin wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:25 pm The trailer I purchased this week was missing the inner skin for the rear left corner, or the corner with the shower in it. I have my doubts as to whether or not I’ll be able to locate one, so does anyone have any ideas on options I might have?
It wouldn’t be too hard to fabricate that wall section.
I’d get some ram board, dense yet thin cardboard used to protect floors during construction, and make a template out of that.
From there, choose a material... aluminum is the obvious choice but I’ve seen folks use frp and other plastics like styrene and sintra. Personally I’d go with around .020 anodized, something flexible yet not too thin.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Salty

Post by Salty »

.020 - .030 is good. The trick is to find anodized in the correct length. It will be pricey and shipping will be, well, pricey as well.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

As has been said before shipping is a killer at least for where I am. You can try these folks, https://www.onlinemetals.com, they sell .040 anodized sheets and .063 I believe. Which your not going to want.
Even the .04 might be a bit thick for your use but it is anodized.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
Justin

Post by Justin »

Thanks for the sources! I was actually talking to the preacher at my church, who happens to be an international airline pilot by trade and is redoing a vintage airplane. He mentioned that he had a source locally who had fabricated a couple of skins for the interior of his plane. He didn’t seem to think getting .040 would be a big deal, so we’ll see. Now, the rest of the interior aluminum is obviously covered by the vinyl textured material, which I probably wouldn’t be able to replicate. I’ll probably try and cover with some sort of peel and stick tile product, I don’t know. I haven’t quite gotten there yet. So if the aluminum will inevitably be covered, why is it important that it is anodized?
Justin
Bloomingdale, IN
1973 25’ Travelcader
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Duramax
Salty

Post by Salty »

corrosion. Aluminum oxidizes, anodizing greatly reduces the time it takes. While Alcoa affixed the wall covering at the foundry, we no longer have that luxury.
You could contact Cayo. When I replaced my lower storage door section, I got it from them. Just be prepared to wait.
Online metals has anodized, but either you butt two pieces together or buy a 12'sheet. You'll need to contact them for a custom cut length if you want a single sheet in - what, that's an 8' wrap around? That puts UPS/Fedex out - freight only.
In theory, you could leave the anodized naked.
You live in Bloomingdale, IN. You're a hop skip and a jump from Elkhart. That whole area (30 mile radius) is flush with boat and RV manufacturing. Lots of Aluminum sheet there.
If you can seal the material well, 5052 will work, can be had in .025 which will make it easier to hang and it'll be half the cost. You would need to seal it well though.
I don't know if there is any material that could be substituted there. I believe some one on this site did a bathroom remodel with a shower. You may want to hunt down that thread for an alternative material.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Check Hagerty in Bloomington
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250