MORryde Suspension Jack Bracket or Lift Hook - Production Run?

A general discussion forum
WEB

MORryde Suspension Jack Bracket or Lift Hook - Production Run?

Post by WEB »

I first saw the jack bracket/lift hook at the 2018 Silver Avion Fellowship rally and then on the video posted by The Pewter Palace (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8sElJ-hiZk). I think it would be a convenient accessory in the event of a flat tire, but they are not easily found.

If there are others that would like to have one, we could commission a short production run from a fabrication shop. To that end, I’ve gotten bids from 4 local shops and, not surprisingly, the cost depends on the number made. The lowest bidder priced them as follows; 1-$261.65, 5-$68.90, 10-$47.05, 25-$34.30, 50-$28.40. (all prices plus tax and shipping). For me, 25 or more makes buying one an easy decision.

If enough others are similarly interested, I’d be happy to collect the money, commission the run, and mail out the brackets. At this point, I don’t know what the lead time would be, but I would assume 4-6 weeks at least. I also haven’t estimated shipping, but the bracket would weigh about 3 pounds and I would deliver them to a UPS store and have them package and ship the brackets. They would be bare steel for you to paint or not as you like.

The sequence would be to send out this information and wait for responses. I’m not on FaceBook, so perhaps others that read this could spread the word. I assume that within a week to 10 days I would have heard from everyone that was really interested. At that point, we would know what the price per unit would be. If there are enough interested folks, I would then contact them for prepayment. This is not a money making venture for me and I’m not going on the hook for unsold units. As soon as the brackets are ready, however long that might take, I would ship them out.

The back story: I have recently been in touch with MORryde and in the course of those emails asked about these brackets and was told that they were never a MORryde accessory and that it would be prohibitively expensive for them to make them, if in fact they would agree to at all. I’ve also spoken with Chuck Cayo and he told me that although he has one, they were never an accessory provided by Avion. Regardless the original source, they appear to be a good idea. I also questioned whether that outer shroud was in fact a viable lift point for the trailer and was told that the shroud is welded to the frame and that the suspension, hence the trailer is fully supported by it. Therefore, there seems to be no question that for the time it takes to change a flat, and taking all other safety precautions, this bracket and a bottle jack are a safe, light, convenient accessory.

If you are interested, email me (webrewer@gmail.com) and I’ll start a list and then let those respondents know where we stand. If you remind me, I'll send a pdf of the shop drawing of the bracket.
Safe travels and stay healthy
Razorback

Re: MORryde Suspension Jack Bracket or Lift Hook - Production Run?

Post by Razorback »

That sounds like a great idea. If I had that suspension, I would get on your list!

Good luck with the project, and thank you for offering to lead the effort.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???