New Member 1973 Cayo Camper valuation help

A little about yourself
Apples417

New Member 1973 Cayo Camper valuation help

Post by Apples417 »

Hello everyone, My name is Warren and I reside in the Syracuse NY area. The reason why I registered and joined was to get help putting a fair value on the 1973 CAYO truck camper that my parents bought new. It is time to send it to the next owner. The ad is up on tin can tourists, but the people that want to help you with the value are also interested in buying it, hmmm. It would help me greatly to get some feed back from people that were not trying to buy it from me. Of course as the seller I am emotionally attached. As a student this camper gave me straight "a"s in American history, because we had visited all the places we talked about in class. My parents continued to travel with it, but now if they do travel it will be with me as its time for me to return the favor and be the parent. I remember going to see dad in the field to get his final approval to buy and a few days later walking home from school and seeing the bright shine all the way from the side road, and running home from there. My grandfather always had airstreams and he did have one avion too, so the CAYO just fit right in. Since they are not traveling as much we became a Harvest Host site, so now you all can come and visit them. :D The ad went up on 6/30 if it helps you find it. I would appreciate the help. Thank you
RISK

Re: New Member 1973 Cayo Camper valuation help

Post by RISK »

Hey there and welcome!

We will need pictures of course, but I guess that’s why you told us about the ad over on TCT.

There is a young man here who joined recently who is actively looking for one. I’ll try to alert him and get you guys in touch.

But, we love pictures here and this place is a great storehouse for all things Avion.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Apples417

Post by Apples417 »

Thanks! I put up as many pics as they allow :-) I just did a facebook ad with more, use 13027 as location zip
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Hi, Warren. Welcome to the forum! I love your story of growing up with that Cayo camper! It resembles my childhood..... we went a lot of places!

Here is the link to the TCT ad: https://tincantourists.com/classified-a ... -for-sale/

I have a number in mind...... the pictures show it as a very nice Cayo truck camper..... not THE best I have seen, but WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than MOST I have seen.

This is just a guess, but I bet $8K is not an unreasonable price? It appears that prices are slowly climbing, so that might fall into a $8K-$10K range?

I hope that you and the member mentioned in the previous post can help each other out!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Apples417

Post by Apples417 »

Thanks ! I have not seen many, especially for sale. This was near the end of production I believe. The oil embargo started in October of 1973.. and we purchased it in the fall. Dad was combining corn so that was October.
RISK

Post by RISK »

I reached out to the member: Sherbst(?) about your camper. We’ll see...

I think Paul is spot on with 8-10k valuation, if not a touch generous.

Best of luck!

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

You would also be well off calling Mr. Chuck Cayo........ His family BUILT your camper.

https://www.mapquest.com/us/michigan/ca ... ir-6567565

On a side note, my dad's side of the family is from Sherman, NY, just east of Erie, PA. They were all dairy farmers. I remember my uncles and cousins telling stories of some years where they would harvest corn in the snow, or sometimes in the mud....... hence the "rice tires" they had on their Gleaner combines. I remember one summer helping my cousin add a 4WD unit to the rear end of one of those Gleaners.... that was a cool project.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Also..... can you post some info regarding you Harvest Host location?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Apples417

Post by Apples417 »

Abbott Farms in Baldwinsville NY. They do have a video of our place as well.
abbottfarms.com

facebook
abbottfarmsny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_Vpr7lj1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKO7ff2tzjQ&t=94s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjlpLQUqRuY&t=84s
Last edited by Apples417 on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apples417

Post by Apples417 »

Razorback wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:32 pm You would also be well off calling Mr. Chuck Cayo........ His family BUILT your camper.

I did leave a message