Help identifying an Avion

A general discussion forum
Razorback

Re: Help identifying an Avion

Post by Razorback »

Yes, that is a 1974 model year, manufactured in August of 1973.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
RISK

Post by RISK »

BB,

That trailer looks great, congratulations and/or good luck.

If you do get it, I’d seriously consider ditching that massive truck bed tool box off the back. While Avion frames are tremendous and far superior to airstreams, frame and shell separation can still happen and mods like that are just begging to create issues.
Not just with potential damage, but with towing agility as well.
Food for thought...

Thanks for the update and pictures.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
billy bee

Post by billy bee »

So, the property fell out of escrow. I'm not getting the trailer for free. But, I am still interested in it. I made an offer of $1000. The property owner has already moved to TX, and it appears they don't want to deal with it. So, I could get a good deal on it.

I tried to look up values on these things and I do not trust what NADA has to say. With what little you all know about the trailer, how much would you say it is worth?

Thanks,
Bill
RISK

Post by RISK »

Judging by the pictures alone I’d say 8-15k.

Definitely worth more than a thousand dollars but I’ve got my fingers crossed for you...

Offer $5,000, that would still be an enormous steal and may help the owner wake up a bit?

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
billy bee

Post by billy bee »

I was not in the market for a trailer. I saw this and have always liked the aluminum construction of both the Avion and Airstream trailers. So, buying the trailer for $5k or more is not in the cards. There are simply other things we prefer to do with our discretionary income.

So, I offered $1000 and will clean it up and fix it up for our personal use if the seller wants to part with it at that price. He does not seem to want to deal with it and is willing to let it go with the property, but it's a million-dollar property. Not sure what he thinks it is worth or what it is worth to him, but I suspect he is over it. OTOH, I do not want to take advantage of the situation. He has already moved to TX. It's just reconciling what it's worth to me versus what it's worth to him.

He did say he was considering donating it to a benefit a veteran's support nonprofit. I would consider giving the seller $1000 and donating $1000 to https://operationsurf.org if that interested him. We do believe in putting our discretionary income into something that brings meaning or hope to others. Operation Surf does that.

If we were to acquire it, we would park it at the house, let visitors stay in it, take it on the occasional road trip, and, as we approach retirement, plan some tours of the Western US in it. We had planned more international travel as we enter retirement, but COVID seems to have other plans. We are booked on a trek to Patagonia this fall. Probably not happening. But camping is a good social distancing activity.

So, this has gotten more complicated and is about more than just the trailer. As before, open to your thoughts.

--BIll