my opinion, for what it's worth

A general discussion forum
DJ18

my opinion, for what it's worth

Post by DJ18 »

I'm bored. I want, well maybe I need to go camping. Yes, I've only been home a week. yes, I could make myself useful at home.

Im retired. I can hardly go anywhere. I have no projects I feel like doing, I want to go camping near a lake and kayak and fish. I NEED to be in the woods!

grump grump grump.

I've been considering some minor upgrades to the Avon. maybe some new flooring or a slipcover for the couch. But every time I begin to look, I can't see anything that would look better. And anything that I like the look of for the avion says "vintage". stuff that says "vintage". Wait a minute. my camper is vintage. everything is original, why would I want to replace it with copy of vintage?

While I'm on a grumpy rant, I really can't stand to see badly done remos. Some are truly lovely, beautifully done and a big improvement over a trailer in poor condition. but what is most beautiful of all, to me, is lovingly cared for ORIGINAL!

so my nod to jazzing up my avion? a splashy terra cotta rug that picks up the colors in the classic couch. Next, I will weave some cheery pale orange and yellow rag rugs for in front of the kitchen cabinet. And if I'm still bored, some kind of bedspread/pre-made sheet and summer cover to just throw on the bed. not a big fan of trying to make up the double bed.

So for me, no paint, no ripping out, no sleek modern design. Just classic Avion.

sorry I'm feeling so opinionated.
CE6BD03C-D326-4CF9-B7C0-30C3637B6696.jpeg
Last edited by DJ18 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Re: my opinion, for what it's worth

Post by Razorback »

I can relate, Debbie.....

Having been cooped up all Spring, we are finally enjoying a few days at a local lake with some friends. By now, we would have been to Branson twice and maybe some other places once or twice. This trip is good therapy!

As for "updates" to our Avion? Nope.... we'll keep the original now-vintage look of things! I have seen some very tastefully-done remodels........... but ours is in great shape, and that money can finance a LOT of camping and diesel to get there!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I suppose it is is NONE of my business what people do with their avions. but every now and then I see a picture of something that is such a travesty I feel have to at least mutter somewhere else besides where I saw the picture! I mean it's one thing if the trailer is beyond restoration, but if it's in pretty decent shape, it's awful what some people have done. I feel like I would feel if someone spray painted a priceless antique gold or something.

I probably need to get over it.

luckily, most people do a beautiful job.

I don't know if many people on the facebook avion group post here, and to each their own. but I'm still shuddering over a few recent pictures there.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
RISK

Post by RISK »

I’ve seen some absolute travesties of “done up” trailers. Even more a shame when done to the beautiful woodwork of Avions.
One of the worst was a late 60’s Avion that was mostly periwinkle with cerise portions and gaudy gloss gold hardware. The staging was a train wreck of cowgirl/shabby sheik and dollar general. I tasted bile looking at that one.

Another was a product of far too much Fixer Upper watching and had full 3/4” ship lap anywhere it could be placed.

While we’re venting, these words and phrases can irritate me a bit too much:
Glamping
Glamper
Shabby Sheik (when not used ironically)
VIN number

As for my trailer, it is a beautiful example of the Avions of its day. Gorgeous wood work and it’s all original. I’ve done nothing to the inside except led bulbs. The PO took really good care of the inside, but I would love to travel back in time and smack him upside the head every time he reached for a tube of silicone caulk for the outside. The edges of some of the cabinet doors are starting to delaminate and I’m not in love with the hardware or raised relief detailing, so I may update those in the future with something in the 70’s modern vibe. Just the doors mind you. I’m thinking some really high quality Russian birch 1/2” with small radius edges on the corners, quality sprayed with a gloss oil base paint that matches the warm white of the walls and simple bright brass hardware and hinges. Nothing else needs to be touched and it would feel period correct.

Someday...
I owe a brake and bearing job first. New shoes too! That’ll happen before our trip to Inks Lake for the 4th. I’ve got three sites booked for the week and just a couple other folks coming. We are on the water and will have a good deal of distance from others.

Hope everyone is well,
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Avioncognito

Post by Avioncognito »

I fear I may end up being one of your cringe-inducing refurb guys. I acquired my ‘66 T27 late in 2019 while it was on the middle of a re-build by the previous owner. I am doing the best I can with what I have, including a decidedly non-vintage layout. Fortunately it will work really well for us with a queen bed in the front and two twins in the back with one converting into the dinette.

The woodwork was about half spray painted black or very dark brown. It darkened the inside so much I decided to just repaint everything with light grey. It looks awesome (in my opinion) but will probably make you cry. I’m not judging, but I’m doing the best I can to make this thing livable/camp-able and had to depart from the vintage thing. I’ll post pictures when my new flooring goes in.
RISK

Post by RISK »

Avioncognito wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:40 am I fear I may end up being one of your cringe-inducing refurb guys. I acquired my ‘66 T27 late in 2019 while it was on the middle of a re-build by the previous owner. I am doing the best I can with what I have, including a decidedly non-vintage layout. Fortunately it will work really well for us with a queen bed in the front and two twins in the back with one converting into the dinette.

The woodwork was about half spray painted black or very dark brown. It darkened the inside so much I decided to just repaint everything with light grey. It looks awesome (in my opinion) but will probably make you cry. I’m not judging, but I’m doing the best I can to make this thing livable/camp-able and had to depart from the vintage thing. I’ll post pictures when my new flooring goes in.
I’m not of the “must be vintage” crowd by any means, I just got lucky with a time capsule and I mean to honor that fortune. There are tasteful renovations that are performed out of desire or necessity then there are the needlessly cruel to the senses make overs that seem to be more of a search and destroy mission. I read you as the former and I applaud you for it.

Of course we all have our own opinions and tastes and that’s what makes us beautiful. Differences should unite us and not divide us.
Especially these days...

I truly look forward to your progress.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I really look forward to seeing what you are doing.

Obviously, everyone has opinions, likes, and dislikes. But ultimately, what I LOVE about the Avion crowd is the more “non-herd” mentality. We have a lot of very creative people here with varying levels of skill and capability...... I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I am wayyyyyyy down the scale as far as artistic creativity..... never have been good at that. But I can fix things and keep them in good repair. Our Avions are like a painting’s canvas.... some are more blank than others, but the result is a good picture that reflects our personalities.

Sometimes I have to remind myself: “I guess I missed the phone call where they were wanting my opinion!” :D

Above all, I am happy to see these awesome RV’s being kept in good repair and on the road.

Keep us posted, and I hope you get to start enjoying the fruits of your labor soon!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

I'm the Rebel. Or Darth Vader.
I applaud those who remain true to the original design and aesthetics. That is a virtue unto itself.
I'm a heretic.
Without going on at length about the myriad of changes I have made to the trailer - most documented in other threads on this site - I will simply state that this trailer has been altered for an occupant of one. And it is a work in progress.
Debbie & Ian, your trailers are lovely. They are true to form.I wish for your continued success and the success of others here. I went the other way. :twisted:
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
RISK

Post by RISK »

To be fair or honest, whichever... my ‘64 Silver Streak is a modern office/design space that was my first resto-model. It looks nothing like the original and more a half hearted attempt at a Hoffman style space. The Class C motor home I redid was your typical gaudy RV visual treat from the design challenged late 90’s,
I left no prisoners there. Bye bye fuchsia flowered wall paper.

I have every piece that came out of my Airstream, maybe 10% will return (if I ever get back to it...). It’s worth something to me as patterns and templates. If I ever get over the hump on that trailer, it’ll be sleek, simple, modern and bright. Nothing like it’s former ‘77 self.

Salty, I’m not certain what you started with, and it’s really none of my business. I do know you are an active member of a small group of folks seeking to improve and personalize your trailer. Me too, I just don’t have any desire to fix things if they don’t need (not saying you are mind you) and the interior is just fine.

Today I went to close the utilities hatch and the bottom middle piece of trim fell off? 5 hours later I’m almost done rebuilding it far better than the factory did. A bonus is I’ll have 12 less clutch head screws on the trailer (oh boy do I loath those...).

Point being, it’s easy to ruin a perfectly good trailer with poor vision, planning and execution. The real crime is when folks cut corners and hack their way through the important stuff and in the long run, risk lives.

Whatever keeps these amazing Avions on the road is what I jive with...

Now go check your hatches.

Ian
590CF478-0A97-402A-A439-D354D455BC2A.jpeg
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
Salty

Post by Salty »

@RISK Amen Brother. Been there, done that. Ditto on clutch head screws. Used Cedar for the core of the utilities hatch.
We are in agreement on restoring/modifying without thought.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.