AC setup

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
leighlandon

AC setup

Post by leighlandon »

Wondering how Avions do with 1ac? My wife and I are debating what setup we need. I know if we stay in the right seasons we wouldn’t have a problem, but if we wanted to go to Texas in the peak of summer we would like the option of doing trips like that as well.

Would 1 15k BTU work or would it be better to add 2 15k BTU and upgrade to 50amp service.

Also Mini splits are interesting and I have read the threads about those.

Also maybe 1 15k ac and a swap cooler on 12v...

I know airstreams probably don’t have the insulation for 1 unit, but wondering how the avions are.

Would be interested in getting some opinions.

Thanks,

Landon

1986 34v Silver Edition
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
Razorback

Re: AC setup

Post by Razorback »

I would like to direct you to this thread of my roof project:

https://www.aviontrailers.net/viewtopi ... r&start=20

There are other products you can use to make a roof reflect heat, but products from reRubber is what I used. I liked them so much that they asked me if I wanted to sell them!

Check them out at http://www.rerubber.com/, call them, talk to them, and even buy it straight from them. If you do, please tell them you were referred by me... no skin in the game, but I’d like them to know that an AvionTrailers member heard about them.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
leighlandon

Post by leighlandon »

Hey Paul,

We definitely want to do the roof project, but what about the AC? I can decide what to do and haven’t had the ability to test a couple different formats. What do you have? Does it work well?

Thanks

Landon
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
leighlandon

Post by leighlandon »

Just checked out your setup again, so with 1 ac works well and the roof coating? I’m just worried I’m going to wish I did 2... if I’m going to do it now is the time... but at the same time like the idea of not doing the 50 amp service.
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

We are quite comfortable with one A/C unit. Knowing that a second unit normally requires 50A service to run both at the same time, I would be willing to give it a try on 30A service if both units had a soft start unit on it. https://www.microair.net/collections/e ... t-starters. Curious how that would work out?

Even with the white coated roof, if you’re in and out a lot and want to keep every window uncovered to the sun, one unit won’t cut it. Well, it would keep it bearable, but not exactly cool in extremely hot weather.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
RISK

Post by RISK »

FWIW our 28’ Avion has a white coated roof and we have one 13,500 Coleman Mach 8 unit.
This set up works surprisingly well here in Texas even in the direct sun with the awning out and the curtains drawn to block the sun.

I recently installed a 12,000 watt mini-split in my small studio and am so impressed by its efficiency and quietness that we are going to install a 9k unit on our SilverStreak office trailer.

If I were in a major renovation state with my Avion (thankfully I’m not) I would definitely look into minimizing/relocating my LP situation on the tongue to clear space for a mini-split.

When I get to this point in my 31’ Airstream renovation, it will get a mini-split for sure.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Salty

Post by Salty »

A/C - Here in Houston, it is currently 90 degrees with a heat index of 110. Both of my Dometic 15k btu units are running continuously. It is comfortable in the trailer, albeit somewhat noisy. I will state I am in direct sun w/o any shade, save for my awnings.My roof is coated with Kool seal. I have not seen any pics of a mini split install on an Avion, maybe another member could help out here. I know it has been done.
A PO installed the original second A/C and the 50 amp service - amateur install on the 50 amp service that resulted in my changing it up significantly- but it worked well as far as the A/C went before I changed it out.
As Razorback pointed out though, either a soft start (x2) on a 30 amp service or a 50 amp install.
50 amp installs are not difficult to do, as a direct change over. In your case, likely the most difficult part would be running the 110 VAC & 12 VDC to the second AC unit.
To flesh this install out, this is what you would need material wise:
Second A/C unit w gasket and control box
control unit for multi zone (thermostat control)*
control cable to the control unit
12/3 AWG cable for 120 VAC
14/2 AWG for 12 VDC power
20 AMP breaker dedicated to the second A/C

* alternately, individual controls for each A/C unit

I could be more specific if you were doing a Dometic install, I'm unsure if you have Dometic or Coleman
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

If I were in a major renovation state with my Avion (thankfully I’m not) I would definitely look into minimizing/relocating my LP situation on the tongue to clear space for a mini-split.

When I get to this point in my 31’ Airstream renovation, it will get a mini-split for sure.

Ian,
Do you have a source for a mini split that isn’t 240v? Every one that I have looked at requires 230-240v power to operate.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
RISK

Post by RISK »

The 12,000 btu units can be either 120 or 240, after that it’s all 240. From the experience I have with my studio space, the 12,000 is plenty for a trailer. I got mine (240) from an outfit in Florida, and they offered both. I’ll see if I can dig up the info.
If I were doing my Avion, I’d have no qualms about putting in a 12k unit, so quiet and so efficient.

I’ll be back...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

@Salty what type of AC are you running that requires 12/3?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R