Hughes Smart Watchdog Electrical Management System

KYAvion
Site Admin

Hughes Smart Watchdog Electrical Management System

Post by KYAvion »

Anyone have any experience with this Hughes unit? I was leaning toward the unit by Progressive Industries, but I like how this unit by Hughes has an easily replaceable board. The one thing I don’t like about it is that there is no simple bypass for the unit like there is with the Progressive Industries unit.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo-h/
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Hughes Smart Watchdog Electrical Management System

Post by KYAvion »

Anyone?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

No experience with this one. Mine is from a different mfr.
Good vibrations:
4800 joules protection
quick initial turn on
Delay on restart

Hot n cold:
wifi. Great if your away, but dependent on a reliable network connection. Many campgrounds have wifi, some are of questionable reliability. Or leave a cell phone for a hot spot.

Bad Karma
front panel display is in code. This isn't a motherboard bios post failure.
Bluetooth? Really? If you're close enough for a bluetooth connection, why not have plain front panel indicator LEDs
Requires a smart phone to get detailed analytic info.

If I was doing cost analysis on my electric usage, this might be the tool. Then again, for that kind of analysis, there are better tools.
If you're analyzing for solar, say, to be certain your draw isn't too much or when to kick to an alternate power source, this might be useful. Then again, most solar charge controllers have a BT monitor as do most LiFePo4 batteries so this would be redundant in that event.

While I embrace technology myself, I look to the usefulness of the technology. For me, I wouldn't be logging into a surge protector frequently. If it fits your needs, then by all means.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I was thinking more for high and low voltage protection that people say can be an issue at many campgrounds. I’ve never experienced any troubles myself, but....

Frankly, I haven’t even been using a regular surge protector either. Which are you using currently?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

While not a surge protector by any means, I use this to check voltage at the pedestal prior to plugging in then leave it plugged in inside to monitor voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/Hughes-Autoforme ... B0195J4T2Q

I also have 12v version that tells me the state of charge of the batteries that stays plugged in one of the 12v receptacles inside.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Salty

Post by Salty »

Currently using a southwire unit. No Logging, no BT, but then I wasn't looking for those functions.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.