Leaking and insulation question

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
aeronious.calhounius

Leaking and insulation question

Post by aeronious.calhounius »

Hello gang!
I have been perusing these forums as I help some friends restore an Avion they bought awhile ago. I’m running to some questions I haven’t quite found the answers to.
The damage to the floor was worse than initially suspected and I’m keen on figuring out the source of the leaks and any issues that may cause more damage to our upcoming repairs.
Below is a photo of an area of the spray insulation I’ve exposed. Since most of the floor damage is along the perimeter walls, I’m concerned maybe there is water seeping in between the outer wall and the inner skin.
I know spray foam is much less susceptible to mold than fiberglass insulation, so I was happy to find that, but I’m wondering what the consensus is on whether any of this insulation ought to be cut out and replaced. Some is clearly discolored, but I really don’t know if that’s as bad as I suspect or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.
https://imgur.com/a/7clcpCv

I’m not sure if that image is showing up. Please inform if you’re not able to see it either.
RISK

Re: Leaking and insulation question

Post by RISK »

Personally, I would just probe it for moisture and integrity. Perhaps a dehumidifier could aid. Newer spray foams are less durable in such small applications.
If I had to cut it out, I’d over cut slightly and plug/patch with rigid foam panels (pink/blue).

Your picture is showing up as an Imgur link, just post directly from your device so the pictures will remain here after links become broken or invalid.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
RISK

Post by RISK »

Also, where in the trailer is this?
What year and model?

This will help to diagnose potential leak points...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
aeronious.calhounius

Post by aeronious.calhounius »

Hey Ian. Thanks for the reply.
I believe it’s a ‘69 and not sure of the model. I think it’s 28’.

The photo is at the front of the left wheel well where the stove would’ve been. It’s the only panel I’ve removed, but I don’t think they want to remove other panels unless there is a risk of mold and/or serious insulation damage.

To elaborate on the original post, nearly all of the flooring perimeter in the front half (kitchen/living) was rotted. The bathroom area in the rear also has rot around perimeter.
So it seems to me there were a lot of places leaking to cause that...
Any ideas or suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Also, I read FAQ but didn’t see anything about uploading images directly from phone. If I could figure that out, I can upload more photos.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

For pics...when submitting a post click on Attachments, and then select Add Files.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R