Walking on top?

A general discussion forum
Avioncognito

Walking on top?

Post by Avioncognito »

I am well underway on my trailer refurbishing. We have a new propane system, water heater, electricals, and I just replaced all copper with Pex on the water system. We are repainting the interior, but before we get too much further I need to solve 3 leaks. Two appear to be windows, but one is showing up under the bathtub when it rains. I suspect I will need to reseal the roof above this area.

I see others doing roof repairs, but my question is how strong is the shell? Do all repairs and upkeep need to be done off ladders? Can you walk up there? A prior owner looks to have put a thick coating of some sort up there, but there is a bunch of moss I want to clean up. Any advice would be appreciated.
DJ18

Re: Walking on top?

Post by DJ18 »

I've never been on our roof before, but my husband has. he is a thin wiry man, and he goes up a step ladder, somehow avoids the curved edges when he carefully steps over. he puts a piece of plywood up there to kneel or stand on. I'm sure some others on here would have a lot more first hand experience and knowledge.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I just walk along the seams/rivet lines, but I’ll kneel on the other parts of the panels if needed to do work. I am careful to spread my weight as much as possible.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
ShieldArc

Post by ShieldArc »

180 lbs can walk all around on top of a 1985 30P all day long. Its a durable camper, not like a fragile airstream.
Avioncognito

Post by Avioncognito »

Thanks guys. So I’ll skip lunch the next few days and give it a try. It’s a ‘66 so I hope it’s as strong as a newer version. I bet there will be a lot of clean-up and sealing up there.
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

I would dent the hell out of mine. I wet a piece of plywood and put a ratchet strap to bend it. Then I glued some foam to the bottom. Holds me up and no dents. I replaced my AC that way.
Avioncognito

Post by Avioncognito »

That’s a great idea...the foam could help a lot. I ended up using a few smaller pieces of plywood and didn’t have a problem. As far as I can tell, there was no damage done. These are tough old birds.