Exterior Door opener/lock

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Avion4us2

Exterior Door opener/lock

Post by Avion4us2 »

Hi everyone. The stock exterior door opener/lock has given up the ghost. It has just crumbled apart after 41 years. Does anyone have a source for that exact door mechanism?
Salty

Re: Exterior Door opener/lock

Post by Salty »

The Door opener/lock assy on Avions were made by Bargman. These are all out of production. I believe the sequence went L-66, L-100, L-200 and lastly L-400. I just looked on ebay and L-400 NOS are going for $600 - $800.
L-66 is @ $425
L-100 @ $175
L-200 lock @ $225

Interesting information on L-400 locks here:
https://gonedriving.ca/more-boler-adven ... -survivor/
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Avion4us2

Post by Avion4us2 »

What happened was, the lock cylinder crumbled and would just spin and not open the door. No problem as I jimmy'd it with a screwdriver to get in. Someone installed a deadbolt above it, so security is not a problem. I am Toolmaker and will disassemble the Bargman lock to see if I can Frankenstein a new/different cylinder.
We are going to use this 34 for a B&B.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Ah! So it's just the lock cylinder. You may find a repair kit. Failing that, hunt down an old locksmith, or at least one that has been in business for a long time.
There is a post here somewhere where one of our members used a cylinder made for an airstream to repair an L-400. Do a search for "Lock" it should come up.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Chester

Post by Chester »

I am interested in all of your posts.
I want to replace my d__m lock with a newer more contemporary and secure, reliable model. Do not care about being true to the vintage of my 1978 8.5M (28') Avion. I just want a good door lock!
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
Chester

Post by Chester »

I am interested in all of your posts.
I want to replace my d__m lock with a newer more contemporary and secure, reliable model. Do not care about being true to the vintage of my 1978 8.5M (28') Avion. I just want a good door lock!
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
eijentwun

Post by eijentwun »

I myself am looking to TOTALLY replace the Entire Door Lock and Handle on my 30p Avion....these locks are Terrorfyingly cheap when you live in your Avion and don't feel save. can Anyone suggest a nice looking Deadbolt with extra locking machanisms on the inside? Basically any Ultra ridiculously overkill door lock. Nothing with batteries or Wifi please. Ive looked everywhere.