Equalizers

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Salty

Re: Equalizers

Post by Salty »

Something of an update here. When I removed all the suspension I had put the trailer up on blocks and had raised it just enough to get the tires off. Fast forward to re-assembly. On the drivers side, with the new springs installed the trailer was too low to install the tires. Once I raised the drivers side up 3 inches I could get the tires on. As a result, now when I open the Drivers side rear storage compartments, they no longer touch the ground. I would have to say, after 33 years the drivers side springs must have fatigued a wee bit.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I'm curious as to the distance between the pin center-lines of the old springs versus the new. Spring lengths are typically sized from pin to pin. If they they raised your trailer 3" on the left side, the curb side springs must have been plumb flat at one time!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Salty

Post by Salty »

When I picked up the new springs, I brought the old ones with me. Pin to pin they were a match. I had no trouble installing them, no need to force anything. Installation was a matter of a couple hours.
Curb sides went on first, no issues there. Keep in mind, it was up on blocks. I had all six axles off at the same time.
My only explanation is that the springs were fatigued.
Ultimately, what I know is, my storage compartment doors @ the fresh water drain and the black tank no longer touch the ground when opened.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Country-of-origin on those leafs?

American-made 5160 (High Alloy) Spring Steel is the single acceptable replacement.

There are no high-end travel trailers manufactured with leaf springs since the early 1990s. Ergo, no market for quality.

EatonDetroit can maybe make some if an original shipped to them AND manufacturer blueprint included.

All the more reason to junk an inferior design. There’s no downside to Tor-Flex. Stability AND Reliability both increase. (7) parts versus over (100).

Salty, I’m glad you got done what you did. I hope you travel extensively. But don’t trust generic leafs. Inspect daily. A break isn’t always obvious.

Painting them a light grey will help. Best prep would have been to remove each leaf and coat with SLIP PLATE #1. One must be able to see cracks, etc.

Use CAT SCALE tandem slide measures NOW to get baseline on per-axle loads. Re-check at least annually. The springs WON’T wear at the same rate (is the problem).

1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
Salty

Post by Salty »

Roger that
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250