cleaning and protecting aluminum skin

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
DJ18

cleaning and protecting aluminum skin

Post by DJ18 »

When we first got our trailer, we washed and dried it, and my husband did a small patch of several products on the front corners. He decided on that Weimans stainless steel cleaner polish. the soft gloss look didn't last long. It was easy, but we are looking for something more long lasting. I will add that it's rained a lot in the past few months.

some parts of our trailer looks sort of blotchy and streaky. it needs to be washed, but some of the streaks come right back after washing.

I have read as many places as possible. posts here and air forums and facebook avion group. many of the posts here are a couple of years old, so I wondered what opinions are on some of the products? I don't think we want to attempt ever-brite. I've read (mostly here) about diamond truck bed cleaner polish, and that sounds really good. I wonder how has that held up for those who have used it? Saw reference to a product called Owatrol on the facebook group. Also have read about penetrol. then some people recommend (as does the manual) just good wash and carnauba car wax. we would love to hear "updated" opinions on some of these products.

Also I read about a product made by EaCoChem. Restore is anodized aluminum cleaner and ACT is like a clear coat that may be less tricky than ever-brite. Also some people like aluminex clean & shine.

I'm laughing too, because my 40 year old daughter spends a lot of time researching products for her skin, I spend time researching my Avion's skin.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Salty

Re: cleaning and protecting aluminum skin

Post by Salty »

the thing about Penatrol and the like is that it lasts 3 - 6 months, as far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and then you're right back where you started.
I have a similar situation on my trailer skin, and I have come to grips with it. My trailers skin will never win best in show. I have done a fair amount of work on my skin and at the end of the day, after trying a multitude of products, I arrived at the conclusion that I will get my skin to look as good as I can and then Everbrite it and call it good.
This has been my mantra and I have about 20% of the skin complete. (Drivers side from the rub rail down).
How I arrive at the last stage before Everbrite is a bit laborious.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1212
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

wow, that is a lot of steps!
I'm pretty interested in what the EaCoChem products say. I may call them tomorrow. another place I read that Met-all was good stuff. Of course the oxidation is the biggest problem.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I am so glad this was brought up again. It reminded me that last year I obtained a FREE gallon of Aluminox.

https://orisonmarketing.com/aluminox.html

I have not had a lot of time to check it out, but I WILL get it done soon and see how it does on my Avion. I told those people that I would be happy to report results in this forum.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

looked at the website and it says it's acid with activators and works well on uncoated aluminum. :? It does say to rinse well, so maybe it's a fast way to get all the oxidation off. they do have something you put on to coat afterwards, maybe like everbrite?
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

DJ18 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:51 pm looked at the website and it says it's acid with activators and works well on uncoated aluminum. :? It does say to rinse well, so maybe it's a fast way to get all the oxidation off. they do have something you put on to coat afterwards, maybe like everbrite?
I am hoping to get some of that stuff, too (Oxi-X)..... reading the application instructions, it sounds easier than Everbrite......
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Razorback wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:02 pm
DJ18 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:51 pm looked at the website and it says it's acid with activators and works well on uncoated aluminum. :? It does say to rinse well, so maybe it's a fast way to get all the oxidation off. they do have something you put on to coat afterwards, maybe like everbrite?
I am hoping to get some of that stuff, too (Oxi-X)..... reading the application instructions, it sounds easier than Everbrite......
I am also curious about coating the finished product with Klasse Sealant Glaze..... it is an acrylic coating I have used on cars since the 80's.... http://klasseusa.com/kalsse-high-gloss- ... glaze.html
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Salty

Post by Salty »

Hey! I'm all in on this if it's simply apply and rinse. :D
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Salty wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:12 pm Hey! I'm all in on this if it's simply apply and rinse. :D
Maybe with the new "work from home" opportunity I have, I will get THIS work done.... I will put this on my list for this week, if the weather will cooperate.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

After a couple of days of research, I've formed a few opinions. I'll share them here, mainly for feedback. both the aluminox and eacochem contain a propriety formula of acids and buffers. from the SDS sheets it's;
the Aluminox is a phosphoric acid, sulfuric acid and aluminum borate silicate and the OneRestore is hydrochloric acid and glycol ether and an un-named buffer.

so it seems choices are use fast and furious chemical scrubbing or labor intensive physical scrubbing. then the choices are between long lasting but often difficult to deal with coatings like everbrite or something like a good old fashioned wax that needs to be done a few times a year.

I really hate to say it, but my husband used some silicone and some wd40 when we were replacing the belt line trim, and where some got on the skin, it is still looking like a little spot of perfection. it's only been a few weeks though.

some combination of cautious and lazy makes me want to explore a few more quick and easy processes. on my list is Met-All aluminum polish (non grit). spoke to that company and they were very helpful. I ordered a 2# can, it was recommended in at least one years manual for the Avion. It sounds like it will need to be redone, it's affordable and not harmful.

my main fear with the acid based cleaners is the corrosive chemicals getting into some unsealed area, and not getting rinsed out and starting to corrode the metals. I know I'm a worrier
debbie
1985 Avion 25H