cleaning and protecting aluminum skin

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
Salty

Re: cleaning and protecting aluminum skin

Post by Salty »

DJ18 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:41 pm my main fear with the acid based cleaners is the corrosive chemicals getting into some unsealed area, and not getting rinsed out and starting to corrode the metals. I know I'm a worrier
I would say that is a valid concern.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

D5E15220-02B1-477A-912D-6E0691845C4B.jpeg
We got the Met-all and both set to work washing the and grime off of areas. My husband wasn't impressed, but I think think it is a decided improvement and well worth the morning of work it took to do the bottom half of one side. It is unusual stuff, it does get rid of the white uglies and imparts a nice finish, but for how long is the question. The company has been very helpful, ad I had a good idea of what to expect. "It won't make it look brand new, but it will make it look nice" is about true. It's a lot of rubbing, but not a miserable amount. they told me to use a spray bottle and mist it if it starts drying out while you are rubbing the cleaner over the area you are working on. then wipe off with another towel and buff with microfiber. an electric buffer would make it pretty fast.
yes, I need to find hubcaps.
Attachments
8E9F5ED4-22C4-4DA8-91EF-761E07502DF9.jpeg
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
RISK

Post by RISK »

Looks pretty good.
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

thanks! I think we will start using a buffer and tackle the whole thing.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

The results of your Met-All application look pretty good if you ask me. Razorback mentioned Klasse GLAZE. I wonder if that would serve as a good protectant after the skin is cleaned up with Met-All. I also noticed Klasse makes an All-in-One polish for use before their glaze. Has anyone tried it?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

Hey all,

If you haven’t tried meguiar's cleaner wax paste to help with white oxidation you should. I got some on a whim at Home Depot and it seems to really help. Definitely need to go over it a couple times but my trailer is looking great.

Here you can see a spot I need to go over again:
image.jpg
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

That’s good to know! Metall helped but it needs something more. My husband has been using some McGuires product, I’m going to tell him this. I think he’s been trying prolong and liking the results. I don’t know how he can keep all the spots where he is trying stuff straight!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
RISK

Post by RISK »

My Silver Streak is way more oxidized so I use that as the guinea pig. The MetAll didn’t do anything for me, NU Polish worked alright but is fairly labor intensive and kind of a pain. This cleaner wax is what I’m moving forward with from here on out. Just need to invest in a decent buffer as doing it by hand just makes me think of the Karate Kid... which reminds me that I need to sand the floor.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Run it thru BLUE BEACON truck wash. No one has more experience than they with acid-buffered products.

Anodized is trickier.

I’ve used EaCo samples and been happy with them. An MSDS doesn’t tell all that much. It’s published for shipping & handling classifications. Two products classified the same way aren't the same thing.

BB will get most of the top-edge-down mineral build OFF. You need to find the manager (not just the line foreman who comes to your vehicle) and SHOW him where you DON’T want high pressure applied.

The process is called a Two Step: Sine washing first (specify you want trailer brushed) and then acid cleaner applied, allowed to set a moment and then neutralized by washing off with their standard alkaline formula.

The other (it’s big) is to wash the undercarriage and belly-skin. (It’s never been this clean)

Usually $40 or do. Maybe up to $65. Depends on location and local rates. Expect over an hour to about three hours when things are busy. T-W-TH are good bets around noon. Reefers are always getting washouts, and days end is when other drivers line up (that’s past 1400).

Want to save a weeks work? This is it.

I’d start at home by attending to loose awning straps, molding, etc that’s gonna get removed. Old window seals you should have replaced a decade back are the only real weak link. Your failure at doors, compartments and windows.

I’d give it a brush wash. And while still wet, go over the roof with a mix down of Castrol Super Clean with brush and with microfiber. Keep the sides wet before you rinse. I use Calgon Water Softener in rinse bucket

I use two 5-gal buckets and loop the garden hose around the AC unit. Shoes with grip. Soft-bristle brush on extending pole.

Rinse sides again after finishing roof. Don’t want any cleaning solution to ever dry

This really hasn’t changed in almost fifty years of climbing up.

After this is when I’d head to BB. As they’re next to truck stops, get the propane topped off and fresh water filled. Get a CAT Scale reading even if not loaded for camping. Hitch tensioned. Drop trailer and get TV solo. This isn’t “ideal” but it’s s start.

BeckyB did the best job I’ve seen. Abrasives carefully used. Anodized is VERY tough. Machine, pads, chemicals and technique.

Remember that the matte glow you want wasn’t there when new. Never.

The old Silver Streak dealer formula is about one part acetone to about three parts olive oil. (Or ATF). Wipe on lightly. It’ll last til a heavy rain. Looks fine from any distance.
1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Razorback wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:41 pm I am so glad this was brought up again. It reminded me that last year I obtained a FREE gallon of Aluminox.

https://orisonmarketing.com/aluminox.html

I have not had a lot of time to check it out, but I WILL get it done soon and see how it does on my Avion. I told those people that I would be happy to report results in this forum.
You have a chance to try this?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R