we need a new tongue jack

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
DJ18

we need a new tongue jack

Post by DJ18 »

Our tongue jack was kind enough to finally give it up for good when we were unhitching in the driveway. I've done some research here, some on you tube and see little information on what kind people replace their tongue jacks with. I suppose a 3500# would be heavy enough, but I wonder about the bolt pattern, or another unexpected incompatibilities. thanks!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
DJ18

Re: we need a new tongue jack

Post by DJ18 »

I asked because I had heard sometimes the bolt pattern was different. So instead of ordering one on line, I drove to our friendly small RV sales and repair the next town over. Quiet farming community, and took the old jack. He opened up for me, sold me a nice Lippert 3500 for about $30 more than one on line. It will fit and I won't need to pay shipping to return it if it didn't. Plus one small thing I can do to make sure he is still open and in business when we are all free to go camping again. A side bonus, I stopped at their local market and got some things our stores are out of; a dozen eggs, a bag of pinto beans and some flour.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thank you for reporting on that. I had never had to replace our jack. I have a feeling that the difference between the 3500lb jacks and the higher capacity ones is on the insides and not in the bolt pattern of the mount.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

funny you should ask. I just replaced mine.
IMG_20200308_161710.jpg
no bolt pattern issues of any kind. raised the old girl up, put blocks under the frame and raised the jack up.
Removed the bolt holding the foot, unbolted the four bolts securing the jack to the frame and out it came. The new one went in with out a hitch (pun intended) and a new breakaway switch installed while I was at it.
Like Debbie, I bought mine locally. There are many things I purchase online, but buying locally allows me to support the man whose advice has been priceless, not to mention, we've become friends.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

that looks just like the one we just bought! I'm really glad the old one finally stopped working. we had to remove the motor at the top and crank start it almost every time we hitched up. Made WD hitch more complicated than it needs to be...
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

The jack bolt pattern is pretty universal if it’s the three bolt style that goes on the cradle of the V of the trailer. It’s really a matter or price.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Just before Christmas I replaced my jack with an Ultra-Fab, and everything bolted up just fine.

From Amazon…
Ultra-Fab Products 149.1075 Ultra-Fab 38-944017 Ulta Fab Ultra 3502 Electric Tongue Jack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B8YL ... asin_title
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R