Position of bolts on axle hanger???

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
DJ18

Position of bolts on axle hanger???

Post by DJ18 »

we were under the trailer getting the best idea of jacking it up to check the wheel bearings. The PO said he did them recently, but wanted to check.

my husband noticed that the front curbside axle is bolted through the lower hole in the axle hanger. the other three are bolted through the middle hole. we are wondering if there is any reason this might be correct.

(He jacked it up behind the rear wheel on the frame)
thanks!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Re: Position of bolts on axle hanger???

Post by Razorback »

To get the “camber” where it needs to be, you use the hole that gets it closest. Camber is the in/out position of the top/bottom of the sidewall..... should be pretty much straight up and down. That, along with the “toe” in/out, keeps the tires wearing evenly.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

thanks!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I don't know what type of suspension you have. Our's is the Adjust-A-Ride

It seems rather odd three axles are in the center holes and one is in the lower. I would be looking see whether the axle was bent.

I would also look at how the shims are distributed where each axle swings on the hanger. The shims are sandwiched between the hanger and the pivot point of the axle. The factory-set arrangement was 5 on the front end and 4 on the rear. This sets the toe-in or toe-out of the tires.

Some people will change the distribution to compensate for a bent axle or worn bushings.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

good to know. the manual says it is the Adjust a ride. more to check out then..

what type of shop would you take a trailer to for that work? RV or auto?

Maybe 15 years ago my husband would have tackled it, but not now. Which is hard, because its always better to do it yourself
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Debbie-

In most cases, RV shops do not mess with alignment or suspension work. Anything they would install would be bolt-on and need no adjustment.

I would be looking for a shop that has experience in suspension (especially independent), axle and alignment. The best kinds are the ones that have been in business for many years and experience in early suspension systems. Take your manual with you and show them the schematic and procedure for the adjustment process.

The alignment process is rather crude by today's standards. It does not require an alignment machine; however, a pit would be extreme helpful as opposed to squeezing under the trailer.

Also, you should give them a good description of the lift points behind and in front of the axles.

Yes, I can relate to your husband's lament. But, as Clint Eastwood once said," A man's got to understand his limitations."
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I know what you mean. We have owned some odd and unique vehicles. so often newer shops don't know how to fix it if it isn't in the shop software. 85 vw westfalia camper for example, and 95 VW Rialta. we used to drive to Tucson to get work done if we couldn't do it ourselves. I'm glad the Avion is a trailer and we can maintain engine and camper separately!

And, along with us, our house is getting older. maintenance on it keeps him pretty busy. I've suggested we just sell the house and full time but he isn't interested. thanks for the help!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Salty

Post by Salty »

DJ18 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:43 pm I've suggested we just sell the house and full time but he isn't interested.
COME TO THE DARK SIDE!!!
8-) 8-)
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

Yeeeessssss!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

so a year and a half later, more or less, we are taking our trailer to a highly recommended trailer/suspension shop. we finally found an RV guy who is a fan of Avion, silver stream, silver streak and even airstreams. he recommended the shop, and Hopefully, he is right about them. initially Ive just asked them to service the bearings. will take the manual and hope that we have found a place we can trust for this work.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H