New throne!

Freshwater System, Grey and Black Tanks, LP Gas
Razorback

New throne!

Post by Razorback »

A friend of mine is the warranty coordinator at a local RV center. He called me the other day and said he had some items headed to the dumpster unless I could make use of any of it.

One item was a brand new Thetford AuqaMagic toilet. Not sure why it was removed from an RV, but it was. I rigged up a water connection outside, expecting maybe a bad valve or something else wrong. It was all good! No leaks, nothing!

This satisfies one thing on my list of to-do’s. I replaced the original Thetford that was in our Avion.... the squatty , barrel-shaped one. I like this one much better.
E2093D5F-ACD0-4D97-B810-0814DA49FC26.jpeg
6926F939-0742-49AF-8D8A-7043E1685076.jpeg
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Re: New throne!

Post by Salty »

Sitting higher and mightier on a throne is the only way to go!
Glad you got such a good deal.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

nice score! height is a good thing!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Jtholland757@att.net

Post by Jtholland757@att.net »

This morning I had damp floor around the commode. Looked at valve while flushing and all water lines there while flushing. No leaks that I could see. Water that was on floor was fresh. I’m stumped. Any suggestions, enlightenments, advice, pointers, etc? All would be appreciated.
1986 Avion 34w Silver Edition; Unit 123 of 200
2022 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Z71 4WD
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Oh, my.... That can be a real snipe hunt.

Please remind me...... are you in the trailer full-time or a lot and this just started? What type of throne is this?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Jtholland757@att.net

We’re full time. I’ve checked all the valves, lines, etc. torqued down the flange bolts. I bought a new flange gasket and will pull commode in the morning. Hoping that is the issue. The commode was replaced in 2005, a Thetford brauvida. I removed the water restrictor from the supply hose bib the night before as the water pressure was weak.( I was relying on the trailer regulator), so maybe too much pressure. Everything was dry as a bone except floor. I reinstalled the restrictor and as I said retorqued the flange bolts and no leak. I’m hoping the replacement gasket with regular torque checks will be the remedy. I’ll know tomorrow.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Hmmmmmmm....... Trying to guess where the issue might be. My first guess was the flange gasket, but how would that coincide with the flow restrictor??? If none of the hoses, connections, or valves are leaking, the only thing I could come up with would require a leaking valve allowing water to continuously run into the bowl, then leak past the bowl/ball gasket, and eventually fill the holding tank with water. That in itself would require the assumption that the dump valve was closed........
I don't know..... I hope you find the problem!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I would go to Thetford’s website and look for a diagram of the valves and plumbing. I’m sure they have repair kits.

Better yet is to call Thetford’s tech support and explain the issue. I’ve called tech support groups many times rather than taking the ready-fire-aim approach.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Jtholland757@att.net

It looks like it was the flange seal, but while I was at it replaced the valve and installed a shutoff at water supply. So far so good. I may have to install a spacer if the “donut” doesn’t compress enough. I’ll know in a couple days. I saved the old valve for a spare as it looked good to me and the fellow that sold me the new one. If anyone’s ever in the Mobile,Al. area and need parts go to Johnny’s RV. Veteran approved and good folks to work with.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

You’re lucky if replacing the foam seal solved your problem. The failure of the seal was a major contributor to destroying the floor and steel cross-members in our trailer. I went to extraordinary lengths to make sure a new flange was squarely and tightly anchored to the new floor.

With a new Thetford toilets and foam seal, I could not get the seal to compress the toilet enough against the floor without fear of cracking the toilet. It left a 1/4” which caused the toilet to rock.

I ended up using a conventional wax ring instead of the foam. When tightened down, the toilet, floor and flange pull against the wax ring. It has worked well for several years.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P