Floor/Sub Floor Renovation - thoughts/suggestions???

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
wirelessguyny

Floor/Sub Floor Renovation - thoughts/suggestions???

Post by wirelessguyny »

I recently acquired an Avion V-25 Voyager which requires a substantial overhaul (pics are up in the trailer photos section).

I was curious if all the Avions had the same floor construction methods?
I read somewhere about the plywood and foam board sandwich construction. (I think thicker plywood on the bottom then board glued on and then thinner top layer.)

In any case, I've got some huge soft spots where the top level is crumbling away. I wasn't sure of the best method or removal and replacement, so I thought I'd inquire here. My biggest concern is not hitting any pipes or electrical and I have no clue where that was run (floor/walls etc...)

At the moment, my ides is to get a Rotozip type tool where I can set the drill bit high to something specific and then measure out about 4 ft from the front of the trailer and try to cut out a section that begins over one of the C channel areas. Hopefully that would allow me to expose an area safely and see what I'm dealing with.

If anyone has been down this trail before let me know.
Salty

Re: Floor/Sub Floor Renovation - thoughts/suggestions???

Post by Salty »

Floor issues are common, and many here have walked the path you are about to take. While I hesitate to say all Avion floors are the same, you will find an abundance of photographs and how to info here. The search tool is your friend.
Thinking out loud, in general, the items that pass through the floor are vent pipes, drain pipes, toilet flanges and frame grounds.I have as yet to see anything routed within the floor.

Depending on the size of the soft spot, an oscillating (vibrating) saw or circular saw may be more expedient than a rotozip. If the area is quite small, there is an epoxy solution that may work for you instead.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Ok, just looked at your pics. So you're replacing the entire floor or no?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
wirelessguyny

Post by wirelessguyny »

I think it’s a requirement. The only area the doesn’t seem to have trouble is the kitchen and bed section. The bathroom is pretty bad, as is the entry area. Removing the fridge and furnace is going to be a pain but I think that we’re talking 5 sheets of ply wood for the entire upper level, so I’d feel stupid if I didn’t just do the whole thing and ensure it was both solid and level.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Ah, piece of Cake! You got this!
Fridge:
Two screws top, two screws bottom. Disconnect the gas line, unplug the 120 AC power, unscrew the two 12VDC terminals. Give a shove from the back to get it started and pull out the front.

Furnace:
Open the front cover. Disconnect the gas line, disconnect the plug at the side (12VDC and external thermostat)
Remove the screw from the center of the two vents outside, remove the two screws inside front. Pull
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
leighlandon

Post by leighlandon »

I’m in the same spot, I have the fridge and furnace out, but having a hard time figuring out how to pull out the pantry, fridge framing and small and large closet... I don’t see anymore screws, but clearly something is still holding... going to replace all the flooring as well.

Any advice?
Landon
1986 34V Silver Edition
wirelessguyny

Post by wirelessguyny »

Yes.

I wasn’t really able to salvage as much as I wanted to originally.
If you look carefully you will see that there are screws mounted into the ceiling from the top inner front lip of most cabinets.

The closet by the stove had Screws into both set of top cabinets as well as the stove cabinet. The rubber head lining also kind of holds things in place via pressure.

Dont forget that piece of wood in the roof center for the partition screen. Not only does it have screws into both cabinets but it has counter-sunk screws into the ceiling. I basically tore that down since there was no way for me to get in there.

The beds may have had staples into the cabinets too.