Northern Minnesota Winter camping.

Tips and tricks for cold weather use of your Avion
Bobbyz

Northern Minnesota Winter camping.

Post by Bobbyz »

20191215_133625.jpg

The bank finanlly decided to give me a construction loan last September. Not a good time to start building in a good year up here and we had a cold rainy summer. So that project got put off till spring and I needed a place to stay for the winter. It was time to see just how well Avions are really insulated!
Since temperatures well bellow zero are normal and can last for weeks or months here I decided to skirt it. Started with a layer of plastic on the ground, then 2" foam on that. The walls are 2x4 studs with fiberglass insulation, 2" foam then OSB. They're attached to the belt line with a minimum amount of screws through the rubber you end up replacing on these anyway.
There's a "tunnel" about 2 x 3 feet that connects to a basement window in the old (to be torn down) house 15 feet away. Water and sewer lines rub through that as well as a flexible 8" heat duct that blows into the door on the trailer where you stow the electric cord and water hoses. There's a high efficiency gas furnace in the basement set at 75 and an inline fan running constantly in the duct. That has the added benefit of keeping the humidity down in the camper. Haven't needed the dehumidifier since putting the duct into the camper, originally I had it underneath for floor heat but with an Avions insulated floor it didn't do much.
Surprisingly the only frost buildup I get is when it's -20 or colder around the door. I expect to see it on the walls and ceiling where the ribs are. It's really been very comfortable so far this winter!
One more thing. I knew the gas water heater would be an issue. Look at one, they vent outside. Works fine in the summer but at -30? Had planned to buy a small electric unit and rig it up inside but someone on Facebook mentioned the Hott Rod conversation. For 85 bucks I was very sceptical but tried it anyway. It not only works, I can actually take longer showers now! I attribute that to the heating element being on the bottom of the tank. The gas is shut off and the outside is behind the wall skirting.
Razorback

Re: Northern Minnesota Winter camping.

Post by Razorback »

All I can say is “Wow!!!!”... and.....

“I’m glad I don’t live in northern Minnesota!”
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Bobbyz

Post by Bobbyz »

I get the "I'm glad I don't live there" thing a lot. Lol
It's actually a balmy 37 above right now and I'd like to think we're done with anything below zero but I know better.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Seven years ago, we drove through northern Minnesota in mid October heading towards Hancock, MI to get our Avion. Beautiful area!
We have some friends here locally that spent 2 years in Duluth..... the wife of the couple says she cried every day..... hated the winters.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Salty

Post by Salty »

@Bobbyz
Hope all is well and you're holding up.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Bobbyz

Post by Bobbyz »

Holding up fine thanks! It's a balmy -4 outside and I'm about to take a hot shower. It's actually very comfortable in the Avion, life is good !
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

That’s great to hear.

Do you still not have any issues with condensation inside the Avion? Does the dry heat coming from the 8” duct keep things dry?

And, what have you done at the windows to address heat loss/cold infiltration?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

This is amazing! I mean really, that is a real test and very creative.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
Bobbyz

Post by Bobbyz »

The 8" duct from the old house eliminated the condensation completely. It's got a fan inline that runs constantly and I kept the furnace in the little basement set at 75 degrees, went down to 70 recently since it's been above zero.
Covered the windows with bubble wrap, one I put that heat shrink stuff on just so I can see outside.
Overall it's really been very comfortable even down to -40. Took a bit of propane but that's to be expected. Definitely wouldn't be any to do this without a 500 gallon tank!
I'm seriously rethinking building a house this summer, might just put up a well insulated 40'×40' building and put the Avion inside for winters.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

That sounds like a good idea, putting the Avion inside a well-insulated building.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W