limitations on where one can go

Anything related to traveling with an Avion
DJ18

limitations on where one can go

Post by DJ18 »

I'm sorry if this question seems too general, and may be something we will learn from experience, but I'd like to know before we get stuck somewhere. we often camp in non improved spots, nothing terribly rugged, as we don't have 4WD truck.

I'm not very familiar with the axle design and suspension on the Avion. Are we limited to relatively "good" roads and more developed areas?

Can the Avion handle uneven roads or rough roads? we wouldn't be tearing down the roads, and know to keep ruts between the wheels, etc. We used to camp in a VW Rialta, which is pretty low to the ground, and could get into some back woods camping spots. I know a 25' trailer and a truck will limit where we can go anyway.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Rostam

Re: limitations on where one can go

Post by Rostam »

Avions have good ground clearance. And a shorter 25' trailer does not have too much of a rear overhang. So, I would say you can venture off road quite a bit. We have a full-time AWD SUV (no low range or lockers). I was once driving to a state park nearby, and did not bother to look up the direction (Its 1 hour away and I did not feel it warranted research time. What could go wrong, right?). Well, my SUV's navigation took me on a trail (as it was a shorter path as compared to a much MUCH better road). After a few miles, I realized my navigation had failed me but I had no way of turning back. I had to go up and down a hill (VERY steep gravel road) and eventually made it to the campground, but the was one hell of a trip. Long story short, if you have a 4X4 vehicle, I would not worry about going of road, but do check the route beforehand!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I hope to not get on one of those roads..it is un-nerving when you can't turn around! I'm glad to hear the clearance is good. we aren't really off roaders, but do like to find out of the way places. thanks!!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

we got back today from an 11 day camping trip. We enjoyed our experience camping in the Avion SO much! It was warm when it was cold out, airy and cool the few warm days we had and beyond comfortable. It was a delight to tow, and we averaged 12 mpg tooling around S. Arizona about 55-60 mph. We ate well, relaxed after kayaking, hiking and exploring. We went camping at Roper lake, with hookups for 2 cold days, 1 more mild day. Kayaked and hiked. then we drove on to Chiricahua Mts.

that night we arrived where we wanted to camp kind of late and no spots open. we took our camper into some very rough and primitive areas looking for a place to spend the night. It followed our truck without complaint, answering my own question about limitations. up a rough mountain road, down into a canyon and parked at the end of the road on a flat spot. found some level ground and unhitched. Go in, turn on the light and heater and we were home. I drove out in the truck in the morning to go find a more "legal" camping spot and when I returned, cooked breakfast, had second cup of coffee and relaxed. We hitched up and went down the mountain a ways to a developed campsite with water. really have no more qualms about where we can take this trailer.

rain and snow were forecast. but it started raining on Monday evening, and kept it up all night. We had planned to leave on Tuesday, and we did, but the rain turned to snow with a bad head wind on the way home, and it was snowing hard enough that we stopped in Deming and spent the night with family. Wed. morning, after it had melted a bit, we left and had a nice trip home.

we had a leaky fan vent in the bedroom, easy to see where that leaked. but also an odd bit of moisture on the bed side table that could be from an upper seam or a window that has needs its gasket replaced.

I can see a few things I would "update" but all in all, we are making it our own, and really, really love this trailer.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H