1976 Avion Legrande Restoration

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
RISK

Re: 1976 Avion Legrande Restoration

Post by RISK »

Depending on what part of the country you’re in you can get the pink/blue sheets in up to 2” thickness from one of the big hardware stores. Comes in 4’x8’ and cuts with standard tools.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
mcoreyjones

Post by mcoreyjones »

Nope. Nothing special. I sourced the foam I used at Home Depot.
Markinalaska

Post by Markinalaska »

mcoreyjones wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 am Apologies for the delay. Times are crazy. The key tool I used to re-adhere the frame to the body was a dealt 90 degree impact extension tool. I will include a picture. The process worked well. It was tricky in some spots but I was able to compete the rebuild in what I feel will be a more solid structure than new. Thus far everything feels super solid after completing the subfloor and top flooring.
That actually looks like a 105 degree attachment and not a true 90. I was just looking to order a 12” flexible 90 to do the same thing with my trailer. I figured a flexible one might make it easier. May not but I’m going to try it.
1981 34V
1995 F350 crew cab
SubAvion

Post by SubAvion »

AWSOME renovation!

Could I know the brand of plywood and the band you use? So the band is to prevent chemicals from plywood to eat the frame metal? Thanks
1986 Avion Trailer M-30P, in DFW.
mcoreyjones

Post by mcoreyjones »

There was nothing abnormal about any of the materials I used on the rebuild of the floor. Between the frame and shell of the body I cut down pressure treated 2x4's to tie the frame to the shell of the body. I used the thickest duct tape I could find (Gorilla Duct tape was what I preferred) to place as a barrier between any exposed metal/aluminum and the pressure treated plywood. After the band was run I was not super specific or careful to place a barrier between wood and metal. The reason for this is that my bottom layer of plywood was not pressure treated. I debated using pressure treated plywood but decided not to. If you decided to use pressure treated directly on top of the metal frame I would simply suggest taping or using any preferred method you prefer to protect the exposed metal.
bibidily

Post by bibidily »

I too have just purchased a 76 Legrande and am currently in the process of pulling things out and approaching the floor which is soft from the door all the way around the walls under the front windows. I was suprised to find OSB under the linoleum (which appears original). Was your floor OSB or Plywood which you tore out?
76 legrande 31ft
mcoreyjones

Post by mcoreyjones »

Mine was an early version of OSB as well. I to was surprised.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Who owned the Avion company in 1976?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
mcoreyjones

Post by mcoreyjones »

I’m not sure specifics. I do believe 1976 would pre date Fleetwood’s ownership.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

This is information from another source:
"The History of Avion Travel Trailers
The first Avion campers went into production in 1955 in Benton Harbor, Michigan, shortly after the Avion Coach Corporation was founded. The high quality, lightweight recreational vehicles quickly became a popular choice with RV camping enthusiasts. By 1967, a second manufacturing facility was opened on the west coast, in San Jacinto, California.

In 1970, Ligon Enterprises, another Michigan company, purchased Avion Coach Corporation, and then sold the company to California based Fleetwood Enterprises in 1976. Fleetwood continued manufacturing silver Avions until the mid-1990s, when the brand was transitioned to a more traditional camper body style. Avions are no longer in production."
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???