WD hitch

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
DJ18

WD hitch

Post by DJ18 »

I apologize in advance if my search has missed finding an "easy" answer to this question.

so the day is set for us to get our new to us Avion. It is an 85, 25H. no renovations or changes that would affect the dry weight rating. We will tow with a low milage Ford F 150 with a 5.4 V8 triton. It has a factory HD tow package and according to the owners manual rated to tow 8500#. The information stamped on the bumper above the factory installed hitch says with WD hitch, the rating limit is 9500# and tongue weight of 990#. So I know we need a WD hitch. My question I'm trying to research what kind to get. We would like to use the simplest to install with the best ground clearance.

I know this post is probably an eye-roller, but we have not had to use a WD hitch before. our previous tow vehicle didn't have a beefy enough hitch to use one and our trailer was light enough to get by with just anti-sway bars. Sometimes I go camping by myself if you husband has other obligations, and I'd like to be sure I can handle hitching the Avion up. I know there will be a learning curve, but hoping it isn't too steep!

thanks!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Re: WD hitch

Post by Razorback »

Please don't think your question is an eye-roller. Each one of us has had to figure out this same thing for ourselves.

If I were you, I would go here: https://www.curtmfg.com/weight-distribu ... /round-bar

and see what it shows for the listed maximum gross weight and tongue weight for your prospective trailer.

There are some definite tips for not struggling with connecting the weight distribution bars. I hope there is someone that will take the time to show you how to do it..... it can be really easy, or it can be really hard. I have seen people actually beating the coupler with a hammer, and wrestling with the bars to get them in place. The tongue jack can make it to where you can do it by hand, without the need of a pipe for leverage.

You might watch this video.... it gives you an idea of how it's done: https://youtu.be/mkewkvU8Ot8
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

Thank you. those sites do have a lot of helpful and good information. Also, I called our friends who are selling it and he reassured us he will come over and set it up and go over it with us. He also made some recommendations on what to look for. Again, I really appreciate the information. thanks!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

Well, after a day of research of what was in stock in town, I went to camping world and bought a reese pro-master on a good sale. The friend we are buying it from is going to bring it to our house and help us set it up and hitch it up. I almost bought a Eazlift recurve because it looked good, no bars hanging down, they are on top. Looking at the pictures tho, I wondered if the bars would clear the double LP tanks and/or batteries. So we will see tomorrow if what I bought will work. I'm so excited, I'm sure I won't sleep!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I know the feeling..... like a kid at Christmas!

Have fun!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???