a few questions please?

A general discussion forum
DJ18

a few questions please?

Post by DJ18 »

Being new here, I'm not sure where to put "general pre-purchase" questions. But I do have a few, so hope this is the right place.

We are fairly new to trailer towing. went from pulling a small, bouncy trailer with a dodge grand caravan to our present set up of 21' starcraft and 04 F150 in a 2 year period. We're pretty happy with the new to us truck, and as I posted yesterday, have an opportunity to purchase our friend's 25' Avion. I've researched and our truck seems well able to pull the trailer, it is a 5.4 v8 with 3;55 axle ratio. The starcraft is pretty light weight at 3100# and the Avion should weigh about 5000# dry. present trailer is single axle. The Avion has not had any modifications that would change the weight. I don't know if the weight shown in the Avion brochures are accurate, but I think we have some wiggle room in what our truck can tow. (says 8500#)

I've read that the aluminum trailers are more aerodynamic and maybe we won't see a big increase in mpg with pulling a heavier trailer. Has that been anyone's experience? I've also read that the earlier trailers were lighter, but what we have found is a 1985 25H. I just wonder if there will be a big difference in how the Avion tows and handles. I know that's kind of a vague questions, sorry! edit to add, we will be using a WD hitch with the heavier trailer, right now only use sway control.
Thank you!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
DJ18

Re: a few questions please?

Post by DJ18 »

I will answer my own question. I just drove to the next town to see the avion we are buying. It is much smaller than I expected. It is so beautiful, so perfect that I have no doubts at all about whatever it takes to get it down the road!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

According to your truck’s capacity, you should be fine towing the 25H. Does your truck already have the towing package?

The Avion does tow nicely, partly due to the shape. No slab-sided front to push a lot of air, and the shaped corners and roof line make a noticeable difference with trucks passing, cross-winds, etc. Don’t expect it to lull you to sleep, but there IS a difference!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

thank you! yes, the truck has the "heavy duty" towing package. I'm really glad to know they tow nicely. My friend said it tows really easily too. This little camper is a dream come true!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Since you’ve got the tow package, I imagine you have a tranny cooler. It wouldn’t hurt to look for it though, and if missing, add one. It’s simple to do. Also, make sure you don’t mistake a small power steering cooler for a tranny cooler when looking through the front grille.

I was surprised to find our Tahoe, which came with a factory receiver and the better option of available axle gear ratios, did NOT have a tranny cooler.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

Thanks, we will check. We just bought it a few weeks ago and it is at the dealers getting a new hi/low beam switch. The guys we bought it from can answer that question when we go pick it up.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

DJ18 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:31 pm Thanks, we will check. We just bought it a few weeks ago and it is at the dealers getting a new hi/low beam switch. The guys we bought it from can answer that question when we go pick it up.
Doing the math, you have a 16-year-old vehicle. Also, you don't mention the mileage. Both mileage and time in service can affect a vehicle's towing capacity and safety. The general rule of thumb for a new vehicle is to limit the trailer and tongue weights to 80% of a vehicle's rated capacity.

Although you claim it has been meticulously cared for, it doesn't necessarily mean everything in key areas has been addressed over the years. You might want to consider having a frame and suspension shop check underneath for signs of rust and wear of the frame, suspension, brake system, steering gear, etc. Anything amiss or overlooked here will have a corresponding effect on both truck and trailer.

I just want you to be safe, my friend.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

thank you! the truck has 103K miles on it, we are the second owners. Of course being a one owner doesn't guarantee it was properly maintained, but it really seems like a sound truck. we don't drive fast when towing, just not in a hurry.

the truck has been in the southwest, El Paso TX/Las Cruces NM it's whole "life" so no rust there. I don't know where the trailer was before the present owners got it.

On the trailer, the people selling it to us are good friends and they have inspected and maintained the trailer. He is a retired mechanic, diligent to the extreme. they are antique car collectors and meticulous. I feel SO lucky to be next in line for their Avion! I've admired it for so many years, and asked if they ever sold it, to please sell it to us.

I've looked at a lot of older trailers and was scared away by the stuff I could see, fearing what I couldn't! We have also bought our share of older RVs that had serious issues, so I understand your timely warnings! thanks again!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:46 pm Since you’ve got the tow package, I imagine you have a tranny cooler. It wouldn’t hurt to look for it though, and if missing, add one. It’s simple to do. Also, make sure you don’t mistake a small power steering cooler for a tranny cooler when looking through the front grille.

I was surprised to find our Tahoe, which came with a factory receiver and the better option of available axle gear ratios, did NOT have a tranny cooler.
This is exactly the point I was going to make. Heat kills transmissions, so whatever you can do to help in that area will go far.

I cannot wait until you get your Avion!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I have a few more questions please. At least until it is in my driveway, I'm having a hard time not thinking about it!

The information I've found would put the trailer a little under 5000# dry weight. I know the only way to know for sure is to go to truck scales, But I wonder how close to the actual weight those spec sheets are?

I also wonder about changing things inside. We originally had ideas about updating the "decor". but it is in such good shape, I have second thoughts about that.

I wonder if it is not a matter of necessity, any benefit in leaving an Avion as original as possible?
Probably we will be content with a slip cover for the couch and a nice rug in front of it.

the wallpaper in the bathroom is loose. It is't off, just wrinkled. any tricks to smoothing and re-attaching that wall covering?

Thanks!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H