Polar vortex right before trip on electric only heat

Tips and tricks for cold weather use of your Avion
pbsled

Polar vortex right before trip on electric only heat

Post by pbsled »

I am counting the days till we head south for what I hope is a warmer weekend with camper. Camper is mostly packed and ready to go, but I am having to heat it with electric over the next couple of days to keep pipes and filters from busting with temps dropping in the teens. Electric overhead plus one space heater is keeping trailer 30-35 degrees above outside temp. I put some RV antifreeze in both waste tanks. Furnace is broken (bad gas valve I think) ..... bummer. :?
Attachments
5B52BBBA-10B0-42CF-AE77-E3A0E78322DC.jpeg
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Polar vortex right before trip on electric only heat

Post by KYAvion »

A couple space heaters does pretty well in terms of maintaining an already warmed up trailer, but as you see they don’t do much for bringing a trailer up to a warm temp from frozen. That’s too bad about your furnace. Is it the original?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

It is original but has a new ignitor that is working fine. Sail switch is okay with starter sequence so I think it’s gas flow / valve related. It was fine until a week or so ago. All the electronics and cycling seem okay, so I may pull the unit out when I feel up to that later.

I am not too keen on all the work to fit a different size replacement furnace.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I added a new furnace to our trailer, and while it wasn’t plug and play, it wasn’t a horrible install either. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=130
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Bobbyz

Post by Bobbyz »

Could it be a bad gas regulator? I'd guess if that's the case you'd have trouble with the water heater heater as well though.
I purchased my Avion without a furnace or water heater. Fortunately the ones in my old Hitchhiker fit. (that camper is scrap) Right off the bat nothing worked so I pulled the regulator and tank switch valve off the old camper and that did the trick.
I'd previously put a new regulator on the old camper. Which fixed the tempremental pilot light on the water heater and got the furnace working.
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

Yes, that was my first guess and my regulator was in fact bad as other units like fridge and stove stopped working. I replaced valve and reg and everything is back up but furnace. I might pull the furnace after our trip and do some diagnostics I reckon.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
Salty

Post by Salty »

Which flavor of propane furnace is installed in your trailer? I have an NT30 that I could part with if you're interested.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

I think mine is a 34p. Funny thing - I winterized the camper today and just for grins turned on the furnace since it was so cold and it worked fine. I let it cycle most of the afternoon and it worked very well. I think the trip may have jostled something .... my guess is the gas valve is sticking.

The forced air space under the shower pan worked very well. It feels warm to the touch and the bathroom is same temp as the rest of the camper. Not exactly a full heated floor, but a nice touch for something different in a camper.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab