7-Pin Harness

silverloaf

7-Pin Harness

Post by silverloaf »

I replaced the 7-pin wiring harness on our '88 30P early in our restoration work. It worked fine but I didn't take the length of WDH into account. I tried using a jumper harness but it blew the trailer's marker light fuse in my truck on the 1st hook-up.

I purchased a longer harness and will install it this week. But I want to verify the path the new harness should run near the hitch receiver. This includes the proper amount of slack when hooked to my truck.

Can anyone help me here? A pic would be great but a good description is also welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: 7-Pin Harness

Post by KYAvion »

Something I did is I installed a junction box for connecting the 7 way cord and plug. This way, replacement of the cord that leads to the 7 way is easy. It also allows me to easily troubleshoot issues if needed. As far as length, I’ll try to remember to get a pic when I’m at my trailer. I have extra length though, which I wrap around the tongue jack loosely. This provides me with a little slack that can be taken up by movement along the hitch if needed.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Thanks KY.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Before installing the new 7-pin harness, I decided to connect the existing harness to the truck first. It blew the dedicated running light fuse in my truck. That means the jumper harness is not the problem. Thus, I must have a short in the running light circuit somewhere in the trailer. Perhaps I spiked the wire with a screw.

Does anyone know the path the running, turn and brake light wires are routed through the body on an '88 30P? Once I know the general routing, I can back-track to see where I might have spiked the wire. I'm certain the routing is common for most trailers in that era

Thanks in advance!

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I don’t know the exact route of the wire runs, but when that fuse blows do only the running lights stop working? Does everything else work fine?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Measured straight out from the front of my hitch my umbilical extends 18”. If measured straight out from the tip of the coupler it’s at 28”. Of course it would extend further if it wasn’t wrapped around the tongue jack, but I just leave it wrapped around to take up some of the slack and also to keep the cord elevated a little. I could have cut it shorter instead of having it wrap around, but it works well that way and leaves me with a little cushion. Attached is a pic showing the junction box.
Attachments
E694AE3F-CC64-4866-A5BF-9B646D724363.jpeg
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

KYAvion wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:09 am I don’t know the exact route of the wire runs, but when that fuse blows do only the running lights stop working? Does everything else work fine?
Thanks for the info. Yes, the other lights work.

When I installed a new 7-pin harness in 2017, I took a picture of the connections at the distribution pocket under the front of the trailer. Green wires denote running lights. There are 3 wires connected to the one out of the harness. I'll need to separate the wires and conduct a resistance test of each branch. I feel grateful because chasing a one wire from front to back could be a real pain.

By the way, the dedicated trailer running light fuse in my truck is 25 amp. That's pretty serious current draw into the trailer to blow the fuse.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I finally found a picture that I knew I had somewhere......
IMG_0955.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Thanks for the pic. Your harness run high over the A-frame, not low as I had routed my replacement.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

That seems to work well, and the pigtail is long enough to drape over the propane tank hold-down bracket. Speaking of that, I like to put the connector inside a quart-size ziploc bag and seal it with a Velcro strap when not in use....also use dielectric grease on the connectors.)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???