Rest of the story... what it really is... pondering

A little about yourself
zoomjay

Rest of the story... what it really is... pondering

Post by zoomjay »

To follow up on my previous post... Yesterday I went and looked at the trailer I asked about previously (owner told me it was a 78 20' trailer). Turns out it is a '73 25' travelcader. I have attached some photos of the trailer. From what I saw....

It looks to me like it has good "bones" and is structurally okay (front hitch looks bad). These are the specifics I noticed (also, before I went I talked to the folks at Cayo and had some ideas about potential problem areas)

Regulators on windows do not close all of the way (replacements are available)
Floors are solid although there is a soft spot next to the toilet
It is pretty dirty although looks to be mostly all there.
I have no idea if the appliances work (stove needs to go). Furnace looks crusty as does the hot water heater although those do not look to be too expensive. I would check fridge and AC before I did anything. If those are bad .... well, they are expensive.
Cushions on the front "couch" need to be replaced.

What do you guys think. It looks to be a project although seems to be pretty solid... and I think once done it could be a real looker. Guys is asking way too much for it... although if I go back to talk to him I suspect I could get it in the $ 2,500 or so range.

What would you do??
Attachments
bed.JPG
fridge.JPG
front 1.JPG
front 2.JPG
kitchen.JPG
plate.JPG
setee.JPG
top.JPG
wall bubbles.JPG
zoomjay

Re: Rest of the story... what it really is... pondering

Post by zoomjay »

Oh yeah... last picture with the "popcorn effect"... this is on the wall.. front, driver's side next to, below the window. This window does not close well and I wonder if water has come in..
Salty

Post by Salty »

OK, by the numbers:
Water heater $400 - $600 (Tank)
$600 - $1200 (Tankless)
Stove - full $400 - $600
cook top $70 - $300
Window Seals $400 - $500
Furnace $600- $800
AC -$600 - $900 YMMV
Fridge Too many Variables to calculate at the moment.
window operators $7 - $17 each
Cushions - YMMV
Paint - Primer $27/gal
Cover Coat $20 - $45 gal.
Tires $50 - $110 /Ea
Batteries YMMV
Propane Tanks $80 -$110 (Cheap Steel)
$285 - $325 Nice Aluminum.
This is just from your write-up and pics, this doesn't include any redesigns, whims, wants, Significant other whims, wants and the unexpected/hidden
Time - alot of it. $priceless.
Chances are the floor under the window with the bubbling wallpaper is trashed, I'd look real close at that.
Soft floor around the toilet could be local, but my money is on a 3ftx3ft/sq area if not more.
If carpentry, wiring, plumbing and refinishing are your thing, then this is your playground. I love mine and I've busted my A$$ in it.
If you're looking to refit/refurbish and keep, then it is a worthy effort.
If you're looking to flip, well, I don't know.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

I am capable of doing the work - many house projects and mission trips have taught me a few skills (or at least I think/hope). This would be a refurb and keep for several years - we plan to use it.

Issue might be time - I would prefer to tackle it in phases: get enough done now to use it effectively and update/change over time and as we get to know it more.

What do all of you think is a reasonable price? I tend to think that is the fridge and AC are good $ 2,500 might be reasonable. If not... well, it might be too much for me...
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Do you want a project?

If not, I would keep looking and find one that might be higher priced, but equal if you get that project finished.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

That is a nice trailer although a bit more than we want.... something in the 23-26 range would be best. And you are right... do I really want a project like this? I am torn.... part of me would find it fun to do the work and bring it back.

Part of me wonders if I have the time... and if my wife has the patience.

Still pondering....
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

one more question.... what is an Avion Ultra? I see one for sale in KY and that beastie looks a little different. The axles look to be further apart and a few other interesting features. Insight??
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

zoomjay wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:04 pm one more question.... what is an Avion Ultra? I see one for sale in KY and that beastie looks a little different. The axles look to be further apart and a few other interesting features. Insight??
Here is a link to a 1970 brochure..... on page 4 it describes the Ultra..... feature differences..... top-of-the-line.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=27
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

..... but if I buy one of those does my wife have to change her hair like the model in the brochure? Too bad those looks have not come back....