1978 26' Avion - worth thought?

A little about yourself
zoomjay

1978 26' Avion - worth thought?

Post by zoomjay »

New member here... and also new to the world of travel trailers. This is the situation..

Growing up my folks had a few Airstreams - a 19' and a 32' variety. I always liked them and thought they pulled very well (when I got the chance). Fast forward several years and my wife and I are considering dipping our toes in the trailer water. Initially I looked at Airstreams although did not find much that met our limited budget. Side note - I have a 2017 Ford F-150 with a 2.7 motor which will be our primary tow vehicle. Trailer limit is 8,500 lbs.

I like the Airstreams and Avion because of their quality and they seem to hold their value - not something other trailers do. In my search, I have run across a 1978 Avion... believe it to be a 26' variety - with a rear bathroom. I was really looking for something a bit smaller (23'?? although cannot seem to find anything smaller). My concern with the 26 footer is that it is bigger and heavier than I want (loaded it would appear to be close to my truck's max tow capacity: not something I would like to do).

I have not really looked at the 26 footer (I need to) although, if the owner is to be believed, it is in good shape and I can buy it for a reasonable price (<5K).
Do you all think it would be worth pushing my truck with the larger trailer... or should I simply wait for a smaller version to come available?
Thanks
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: 1978 26' Avion - worth thought?

Post by KYAvion »

You’ve got a decent tow capacity. Plus, tow vehicles come and go, but you’ll likely have your trailer for longer. Thus, I’d recommend you buy the trailer you want.

For what it’s worth, our Tahoe has a tow capacity of 8200lbs, and it handles our 1984 30R adequately. Do I wish I had a 3/4 ton or something with more power? Absolutely. However, for the time being and how much we tow, the Tahoe works fine.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 pm You’ve got a decent tow capacity. Plus, tow vehicles come and go, but you’ll likely have your trailer for longer. Thus, I’d recommend you buy the trailer you want.

For what it’s worth, our Tahoe has a tow capacity of 8200lbs, and it handles our 1984 30R adequately. Do I wish I had a 3/4 ton or something with more power? Absolutely. However, for the time being and how much we tow, the Tahoe works fine.
Good advice right there........

(Welcome to the forum!!)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

zoomjay wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 pm New member here... and also new to the world of travel trailers. This is the situation..

Growing up my folks had a few Airstreams - a 19' and a 32' variety. I always liked them and thought they pulled very well (when I got the chance). Fast forward several years and my wife and I are considering dipping our toes in the trailer water. Initially I looked at Airstreams although did not find much that met our limited budget. Side note - I have a 2017 Ford F-150 with a 2.7 motor which will be our primary tow vehicle. Trailer limit is 8,500 lbs.

I like the Airstreams and Avion because of their quality and they seem to hold their value - not something other trailers do. In my search, I have run across a 1978 Avion... believe it to be a 26' variety - with a rear bathroom. I was really looking for something a bit smaller (23'?? although cannot seem to find anything smaller). My concern with the 26 footer is that it is bigger and heavier than I want (loaded it would appear to be close to my truck's max tow capacity: not something I would like to do).

I have not really looked at the 26 footer (I need to) although, if the owner is to be believed, it is in good shape and I can buy it for a reasonable price (<5K).
Do you all think it would be worth pushing my truck with the larger trailer... or should I simply wait for a smaller version to come available?
Thanks
I have read it is good practice to keep tow weight 15-20% below the vehicle’s tow capacity. In your case, that would limit your trailer to 6800lbs. Cargo and passengers can eat into the 15-20% reserve fairly quickly.
We have a 2018 F150 with the 3.5L eco-boost engine, 10-speed transmission and max trailer tow pkg (11,400lbs). Even with this capability, I do not let the transmission shift by itself while towing. Overhead cam engines like the 2.7 and 3.5 develop their torque curves at higher engine rpm. I generally run between 6th and 8th gear, depending upon terrain. I get my best fuel economy under load when the engine isn’t lugging. By the way, I feel more alert and control when I’m actively involved in the process.
Your 2.7L had very good initial reviews for trailer tow. Finding the sweet spot with your 6-speed transmission will make all the difference in optimizing performance and fuel efficiency.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

We have a 1978 26' Avion (Model H, which is center bath). Travel ready its about 6000# and has 600# of tongue weight. We pull it with a diesel Mercedes SUV rated at 7500# (see the attached photo of our setup). It does a great job. I think your Ford will do a great job as well.

Avions and Airstreams look alike (Most people think our trailer is an Airstream), but there are significant differences between the two. Most differences are not obvious at first. Avion has significantly beefier frame, much better insulation, more sophisticated axle/suspension system, lots more interior/exterior storage, and much better workmanship. My biased opinion is to get an Avion (the real deal). Airstreams do have higher prices. So, if you want to flip the trailer for a profit, Airstreams are a better choice. But if you want to use it, Avions all day long. Avion is one tough, solid trailer.
Attachments
unnamed_3 (1).jpg
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I agree with Rostram on the Airstream vs Avion. I had a 1979 Airstream Sovereign (31ft) before my Avion 30R, and I think the Avion is much better. The Avion frame is beefy, the bathroom is more spacious, and the overall feel is just more solid. My favorite though is the spray foam insulation in the walls and flooring panels sandwiched with foam board in between. Also, I find the Avion’s exterior compartments, while small, to come in real handy for stuff.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
zoomjay

Post by zoomjay »

Okay... got it.. appreciate all of the feedback. One more question: 26 vs. 23? Being relatively new, we have been leaning towards something in the 21-23 range.... and in the world of Avion that would appear to be a 23'. What are the big differences between a 23 and a 26 (besides 3 feet and 500 lbs?)?

For my wife, she is wanting something with a 3 burner stove; a sink in the bathroom; and a larger fridge (Separate freezer). In the normal world of trailers, that puts you in the 21+ range. I do not know Avions that well and am not sure what is what.

I am also not sure how common 23' Avion's are... and/or if I should maybe snap up this 26 footer that I am aware of. It just seems to be bigger than we want/need (there are only two of us plus the dog)...

Thanks
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

26' Avions are rare (I may have seen 6 for sale in the past 5 years). However, 23' Avions are extremely rare. I may have seen 2 for sale in the past 5 years. There is one for sale in Facebook's Avion group but its unfortunately in a very poor shape.

I think 26' Avion is perfect for a couple and a dog. We also have a 10 year old and after one week at the beach, I was wishing we had a slightly bigger trailer (I'm trying to justify owning 2 Avions :D ). For weekend/long weekend trips, 26' is perfect though.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5