Silver Streak Owner

A little about yourself
slowmover

Silver Streak Owner

Post by slowmover »

It’s anodized. It’s big. Have fifty-plus years experience with them. (Buy the best trailer, not a project. They’re ALL projects this far past manufacture).

I don’t find signature or avatar settings.

That is, unless y’all are afraid of being blinded by the brand (ha!)
1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
Razorback

Re: Silver Streak Owner

Post by Razorback »

Hi, slowmover! Glad you found us here!

Let me see if I can guide you to the signature stuff.....
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Look in the User Control Panel.... Profile
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Woulda sworn it didn’t show up before. (Hmmm, what can I blame? I know, I’ll open a beer and pour half out. That’s what did it).

Thanks
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I know you have some pictures to share......
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

You’d think so since I’ve been in and out of these since 1967. I’m third generation. Truth is, I have next to no pictures of anything. Or people. That includes family. One or two. A few dozen lifetime total. Maybe.

I’ve made a point to take a few of this one. But they’re nothing like my 1983 3411 thread on Airforums. That was fun, but a lot of work. For the buyers.

First is not long after I bought this one. At Greyhound in Corpus Christi in 2012.

Rear Queen 35
4F57546A-B44C-43AA-A12B-10F34EAF9827.jpeg
This one was never mine. Close to the infamous custom 29’ for a wheelchair-wifey in appearance . That had a genset behind the usual front propane tank door, but louvered. The horizontal tanks were beside it. (Mine has the electrical control center behind door on port side. Battery’s in that “tank” on tongue. (It might it once it was rebuilt. Ive thought long and hard about a bedroom door like this one has).

Double Door 29
78C3B297-A482-4B2B-852A-6BE03AC9DDEE.jpeg
Something you’ll rarely see (I’ve rarely seen). This version of the club sticker. I think last outing was 1989 or so nationally.
8ACBAEBD-0B02-45F2-987C-A58794976A13.jpeg
Company was sold by founders in late 1980s. The Sterling is a total re-design. New owner and former GM Rolf Zuschlag with a sidekick built all new jigs. Awesome in some ways (good luck finding exterior rivets, there are next to none).

Last trailer was 1995. Two slideout models, one survives last I knew.

For more, see the brochure on www.tompatterson.com

Last edited by slowmover on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Beeeeeeutiful trailers!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Thanks.

The rarity may make it the most fun. Rolf & Co (Sterling Trailer Co) looked long and hard at Avion. AS was also making the “Squarestream” at this time (Avion had it’s fiberglass TT model, what, two years, right at that 89-90’ junction?). Dry weight as purchased was 6,900-lbs.

Doesn’t have the wraparound front windows. — and, boy, these windows are HUGE — it’s still an SS once acclimation is complete.

The single overall design change I don’t like is access to appliances. Hot water and furnace are difficult access. Ingenious, ha!

But the aesthetic is very easy for those new to RVs. That’s the Avion design strength. Doesn’t feel cramped (just gives up a lot of storage).

Rear bedroom is maybe best for two people long-term. Has its own TV, just need to build in a separate sound system. (The dinette will get a HAM radio setup).

I’ve thought about adding a bedroom entrance door. Unlike the custom doors of the past, this is stock piece with Alu overlay. Safety & ventilation are the attraction. I’ve practiced the emergency exit and it’s not fun at my age. Another owner has done this AND replaced the mile-long OEM starboard awning with a pair split for using either door. This is VERY attractive as to utility. (Park at front door, but still open rear awning and use that entrance).

When I look at it it’s with the desire to maximize its system abilities. Each system of power able to heat water & air temps, for example. Provide lighting with AC, DC or propane.

It’s also to have two living areas that don’t have to be connected, in a manner of speaking. (I can’t easily close off the front lounger as one could with AVION, but it’s a desire). Also needs a built-in dry bar. Were one traveling with a young couple with children, then that elderly couple could have some space. Or someone ill. Etc.

“Golf condo” is sort of the idea in the end. (Re-sale value). Not everyone wants a Moho, but aren’t put off by a TT this size.

For those of you with large families, a trailer of this size can be used by the tent campers (thinking of the ladies) for some things that tents don’t provide or park facilities make undesirable. So “division” has been a useful concept.

I know all of you can “see” the men in the front lounge with a football game on, beautiful fall day, and the girls oldest to youngest coming and going using The Bath Suite. Their own entrance and that huge bedroom.

If I buy another I’ll return to the 1974-1984 era of SS with center double bed. It’s just easier to control interior temps with rear bath and a single roof unit. Assuming I don’t re-marry, then my parents & grandparents 28’ size is more than adequate.

This TT layout is kinda similar to a late 34X. Bath is still in bathroom with sliding glass mirrored wardrobe doors across, BUT the forward bath wall swings forward as a “door”. Locks into place. IOW, the entire center of the trailer becomes a bathing & dressing suite (rear has the usual woven door). Otherwise the door to the bathroom is a slider. Center passage.

One might think the 35’ could be hell for plumbing runs. In fact it’s ALL within a 10-foot span on the port side.

This unit also features (still operative) optimal twin panel solar unit, and a SPLENDIDE washer/dryer in the lower pantry next to sink.

If any of you see an SS Sterling for sale, it’s worth your time in personal examination. Grab it for a relative if it’s “right”.

I was prepared to buy whatever Avion or SS I could find in late 2012, missed out on a 34V center-double Avion by two hours. This came up next. Made two 900-mile roundtrips to get it. Hauled home just after an ice storm

slowmover

Post by slowmover »

Found another pic.

Moved to FTW a few years back. Son moved here after grad school once past a decade as a Herk Bird driver for the USMC. If he moves elsewhere I can easily do so as well (I’m only home a few days monthly). Location ain’t scenic, but it’s the only park close-in. Always full. Huge convenience.

Couldn’t see point of paying apartment rent after divorce. And have always loved these. Truck serves as garage. Bought for business in past and paid for itself. It’s past gross once hitched (not axle limits). Someday back to a car as it’s far easier to live with. And a better TV.

In the meantime averaging 15-mpg is nice. Dad saw 6-8/mpg. Goal is 17, and I believe it do-able (average for South Central US). It’s an ‘04 Cummins 2WD LB QC with the man’s transmission. 305/HP & 555/TQ. Grossly overpowered for this application (17-18k combined; in commercial work I ran these trucks at 30-35k). It’s not enough of a load to work the engine properly (Trailer max is 9k).

Age has caught up to it. Plastic and just “stuff”. The two vehicles will take up plenty of time & $$ this next year. And, as my son is about to be married, I think I’ll redo the truck with him in mind.

Raise the rear gear ratio from 3.73 to 3.42. 20” takeoffs from a current CTD. Etc. We will see. Being able to use each gear far more effectively is very attractive. Have already done a number of suspension mods to enhance towing stability (if you have a 4WD, then this one’s a race car as to handling & steering. I get out of the Peterbilt and I call this my Cummins Corvette).
5D3ACA7F-8DAC-4EB1-9730-6750A6BA9D93.jpeg
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

May I say I am really enjoying your input, stories, and information. An obvious thinker, you are.

Did I ever share this 1981 SS with you? When It was available, I was really tempted and longed to go get it.... It was in the Indianapolis area..... not sure where it ended up.
Attachments
00c0c_5xPbJM4yRIi_600x450.jpg
00c0c_5xPbJM4yRIi_600x450.jpg (9.58 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
00f0f_eOIDybZJvl1_600x450.jpg
00Q0Q_iNGdEtUUKGl_600x450.jpg
00Z0Z_54ovqMe3tSm_600x450.jpg
01010_jLH3dNf9l7H_600x450.jpg
01212_aM6yucg0zQ7_600x450.jpg
01313_5VXlXU5dXJg_600x450.jpg
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W