New owner of a (gutted) 1969 28ft Travelcade

A little about yourself
WindyPerseids

New owner of a (gutted) 1969 28ft Travelcade

Post by WindyPerseids »

Hey! I’ve been scrolling these forums for weeks getting excited (and scared) of the somewhat unconventional remodel I have planned for my Avion. I purchased it cheap, and the previous owner had completely gutted it and installed new flooring, and some sort of solar system I haven’t yet deciphered, but that’s it. It’s just a big open space. I’ve had it towed to my property in the high desert where I plan to park it permanently as a guest house/ writer’s escape. I’m planning a very low-tech and minimalist remodel, with manual pump faucets and an outdoor solar shower.

So far, I’ve fixed the broken door handle and replaced the gasket around the door, removed the screens on the windows and begun a very deep clean of the windows (the level of grime appears to be original to 1969 :-0 )

I’m sure I’ll be coming here with lots of questions, but for now I’d just love to know any tips for replacing the plexi in the window frames. The frames themselves are in good condition, but the plexi has yellowed to the point of opacity and, in some places, cracked. It seems a shame, and expensive, to replace entire windows if I can just swap out the plexi instead.

Thanks for your help! And I’m happy to repost this elsewhere in the forums if there’s a better fit for the questions I have. Thank you!
Windy
1969 28ft Travelcader
Allons! the road is before us!
It is safe—I have tried it—my own feet have tried it well—be not detain’d!
RISK

Re: New owner of a (gutted) 1969 28ft Travelcade

Post by RISK »

Howdy and welcome Windy,

Post some pictures of your windows to give a better idea. They shouldn’t have been plexiglass originally, I would try and replace with glass if there are no curves involved. I’ve brought cardboard templates to a local glass shop and they’ve cut all kinds of crazy shapes. If you have to replace with a plexi type product, look into acrylite, it’s essentially a higher quality plexiglass type of material.

Definitely replace the glass and be careful with your frames as items like that aren’t the easiest to come by.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
WindyPerseids

Re: New owner of a (gutted) 1969 28ft Travelcade

Post by WindyPerseids »

Hi and thank you Ian! I've attached a pic... I'll get you some closer up ones when i get back out there in a few days. I might be nuts but it certainly feels like plexiglass. I also read somewhere that some of the 69s had all plexiglass windows?

My desire to replace with plexiglass (or arcrylite) was so i could make the cuts myself, but if i do go with glass i'll take your advice and do the cardboard trick.

W
Attachments
IMG_0989.jpeg
Windy
1969 28ft Travelcader
Allons! the road is before us!
It is safe—I have tried it—my own feet have tried it well—be not detain’d!