windows leak

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
sueyves1968

windows leak

Post by sueyves1968 »

hi ! i'm doing a full restoration on a 1968 A25 , after removing bathroom interior wall i notice back window leaking in the corners i notice same thing in another windows they must ALL leak !!!
What do I need to do ??? Hope I don't need to remove it , please help .
Attachments
20190809_124930.jpg
20190809_124919.jpg
20190809_124844.jpg
slowmover

Re: windows leak

Post by slowmover »

Yuppers. And it’s a royal pain.

You’ll need to ID the window model number. Search for all the little stuff that goes with each one. Gaskets, fuzzies, clips, etc.

There’s not really a choice. Those that haven’t are whistling past the graveyard.

Water is what destroys RVs.

Of course, it could be fire . . . true that our type doesn’t shake itself apart down the highway pulling junctions apart . . but could water cause an electrical short?

Be diligent as to what’s needed for there’s a lot to assemble in the way of supplies and some tools, first. It’s VERY MUCH one at a time.

You’ll want at least one helper.
1990 35’ Silver Streak Sterling
sueyves1968

Post by sueyves1968 »

Where can I find supply like new rubber seal for thé Windows ??? thank you verry much
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

sueyves1968 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:24 pm Where can I find supply like new rubber seal for thé Windows ??? thank you verry much
You might start a new topic and ask that question, along with the year and model of your Avion.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
RichardCrane

Post by RichardCrane »

Hello, I too am looking for a source for window seals, etc. Have you found any sources yet? I have a 1979 34W and have several leaking windows. It's hard to determine exactly where leaks come from to know what to try and fix. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Richard Crane
1979 34W. Converted to side mounted rear queen bed and updated throughout.
sueyves1968

Post by sueyves1968 »

No did not find noting yet look like not a lot of info all keep you posted if I do find someting and please tell me if you a find info thank you
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

For the 1979 34W, this post might be very helpful. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=489

I hope that someone who has done the job of replacing their window seals can comment.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
RichardCrane

Post by RichardCrane »

Thanks to both of you for your help. I will check out Interstate RV Metal & Supply for the seals that probably need replacing. In the mean time I am searching with a water hose for the source of my leaks.
Regards to both,
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Please keep us posted. I love to hear how members fix problems with their Avions.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
RichardCrane

Post by RichardCrane »

Hello Razorback,

To date I have found several sources for window seals. No one dealer has all the parts. My windows seem to be Hehr 4900 series. Vintage Trailer Supply has provided the "Y" seal for the Jalousie faces. Interstate Metal(which you gave me) supplied the Glazing bead. KC at Interstate was very helpful and offered names of other sources to check with on items they did not have. Robert at Vintage Trailer Gaskets is a wealth of knowledge. His website has all sorts of information including the service manual for Hehr windows. I downloaded a copy if you want it. (I will need an email address in order to send it.) He seems to have more of the parts than the others. He also advised on Airstream parts that can be substituted for unavailable Avion Hehr parts such the bottom seal for the jalousie windows. He was very generous with his time and extremely knowledgable.

I am attempting to replace all my side windows. Lippert who acquired Hehr may be willing to do this. I am awaiting their quote. I don't know about either the front or rear windows but will advise on all when I hear back.

We are doing a complete refit of our 1979 34W including converting the previously twin bed rear bedroom into a side mounted queen bed.

It is getting cold here in Indiana and my efforts may be over for the season unless I can locate a heated garage. No adhesives will set up with the low temperatures. Our first snow seems to be sticking to the ground today.

Regards,