Greetings - 1990 30P Family Camper

A little about yourself
pbsled

Greetings - 1990 30P Family Camper

Post by pbsled »

Greetings,

Just wanted to drop in as a new member and share some encouragement for these projects that seem have so much never ending scope creep. I have been slowing plugging away at fixing up my Dad's 90' 30P Avion that he bought new. Lots of good memories for me in that camper and I hope that I can get this back in use soon. I motivated myself with a deadline and made a beachside campsite reservation in mid-November. So as you will see below - I have lots of bathroom remodel work ahead of me. Camper is really in pretty good shape overall and I have been working from the front to back over the last few years. Most of my time has been spent doing leak prevention and taking care of the roof and kitchen and dining areas. However, I dove into a bathroom remodel last week and I am down to the frame already since the floor back there was an absolute disaster (ants, water, etc). I hope to get black water tank and floor back in over the next few days. I got it all panted yesterday and hope to start early tomorrow. Thank you for the good questions and answers already posted here. I still have so much do with new tankless water heater, electrical panel, not to mention all the plumbing.
Attachments
Current Exterior State - The exterior is fairly decent shape.  I am looking for a fix for the front window cover if anyone has ideas.
Current Exterior State - The exterior is fairly decent shape. I am looking for a fix for the front window cover if anyone has ideas.
Current Front Inside Area - Mid century DIY with table awaiting formica top (in the mail) and retro dinner trim.
Current Front Inside Area - Mid century DIY with table awaiting formica top (in the mail) and retro dinner trim.
Stove refit with stick on stainless backsplash.  Original stove but with some fixing works great.
Stove refit with stick on stainless backsplash. Original stove but with some fixing works great.
Cleaned up frame ready for flooring.  Typical basic fix with wire brush, degrease and some POR-15 to get a few more years of service.
Cleaned up frame ready for flooring. Typical basic fix with wire brush, degrease and some POR-15 to get a few more years of service.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Greetings - 1990 30P Family Camper

Post by KYAvion »

Your trailer looks great! Did you install a different range hood? How about your counter? What material is that? Lastly, what did you choose for your flooring?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Welcome to the forum.... glad you are here!
Nice Avion, and I think it is great that you have your dad’s!
Keep us paired on the progress, and I bet you cannot wait for that outing in November!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

Thanks for the welcome. In answer to the questions about the hood ..... I refinished the original almond one and just sanded and repainted it (while removed) with some higher end spray paint. The counter top and sink are still the original (gray) and have never been removed (yet). The flooring is a bit of an odd choice, as with most things on this camper. I often use what I happen to have around from other jobs, so in this case I had some left over Bruce pre-finished red oak that was just enough to cover from the bathroom door forward. I used lots of Titebond, Liquid nails and stables, and it turned out great so far as a "floating" attachment. I made sure I acclimated the oak to outdoors and put it in at full humidity, which seems to have done well though several seasons now. I know it is a bit of a weight penalty and I lost some ceiling height, but I had removed all the previous attached furniture from the front. I think I calculated that the total net gain in weight was about 125 lbs, but it makes the camper feel entirely different inside. If I had good engineered water resistant flooring around I would have used that instead, but I went with what I had. It turned out that using the oak enabled me to do a nice attachment for my pedestal table that is more secure than was possible with standard flooring.
Attachments
IMG_4084.jpeg
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

With what you had on hand, I’d say it turned out really well!

Is your stove top original, or did you spray it too?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

Looks really nice.

We’re the sconces original? I like those.

And welcome by the way...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
pbsled

Post by pbsled »

RISK wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:06 pm Looks really nice.

The small lights by the door are from our families original 66' Airstream. The ones in front I picked up from a set design shop in LA that were "period" replicas from a TV set.
PbSled
"Mr. Eternabond"
1990 30P
2017 F-250 Reg. Cab
RISK

Post by RISK »

pbsled wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:09 pm [quote=RISK post_id=5503 time=<a href="tel:1565316387">1565316387</a> user_id=214]
Looks really nice.

The small lights by the door are from our families original 66' Airstream. The ones in front I picked up from a set design shop in LA that were "period" replicas from a TV set.
Funny I would hone in on those, the ones flanking the seating area, I am a production designer in the film business...

You have good taste. Looking forward to see more of your project progress.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)