Almost new Suburban Furnace

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Razorback

Almost new Suburban Furnace

Post by Razorback »

Our local CL had a listing for a little-used 34,000 BTU Suburban furnace for sale. It has a new gas valve on it...
The listing said:
"Used Suburban RV furnace. Replaced this furnace with a new one because I would have to tap on gas pipe to get it to ignite. Once it ignited it would would work properly till it stayed off for 4 or 5 hrs. Have since replaced the gas valve (would have sooner but was in a hurry so bought a new one). This furnace has not had much use and is in good condition. Can hook up in shop and run it when you pickup so you will know its in good condition.

This is a 34,000 BTU unit. This is less than half the cost of new. " $295.

Went to look at it this afternoon. Come to find out, the seller has a 1987 Avion 34V east of here on some property he owns...... also likes older Ford vehicles, like me!

Anyway, he had it connected to a propane bottle and a power source, it came on, blew air for a bit then ignited the burner, it heated nicely, and shut off after cool-down like it should when he opened the thermostat connection.

The unit is in excellent shape. I think I will swap out the guts of this one and put it in place of ours, then inspect my original one. If it needs anything... even just some TLC..... I will do that and put it on the shelf, just in case.
I thought that was a good price to get an exact-replacement furnace, and I can eventually have a good spare on hand. We use our Avion in cold weather, so...... good score, locally! And, made a new friend!
00n0n_arEY0MGWqf8_1200x900.jpg
00r0r_6xQ7u8GF5fR_1200x900.jpg
00u0u_8LblDodRsaY_1200x900.jpg
01010_ljPqxQWRhA1_1200x900.jpg
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Almost new Suburban Furnace

Post by KYAvion »

Great find!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

Nice find. Actually quite jealous. :oops:
mine works fine, or at least it did this past December.It's on my list to remove and inspect.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I had some time this afternoon to swap out the furnace.

The new one is definitely in better shape. On the old one, the exhaust pipe was corroded to the point of there not being ANY bracket to screw into from the middle of the outside exhaust port. The removal and installation was easy because I already had some gas line tape for the connections. Slid the new one in, plugged in the 4-prong connector on the side, connected the gas valve and line, fired it up and it ran just like it is supposed to.

Glad to get that done!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

You’re lucky yours was a direct swap. I had to cut the interior wall and redo the bottom duct to get mine to fit.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

From the looks of things, the NT30, NT34 and NT40 are all direct swaps. Unit sizes are the same anyway.
Glad you got the new furnace in Razorback.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thanks!

I feel very fortunate to have found this "new" furnace. I guess it was one of those "right place at the right time" things.

I am quite surprised that it was so easy to replaced.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Salty wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 pm From the looks of things, the NT30, NT34 and NT40 are all direct swaps. Unit sizes are the same anyway.
Glad you got the new furnace in Razorback.

I forgot Razorback was replacing a Suburban furnace. Size-wise in terms of Suburban furnaces, then I believe the various sizes of the NT’s are a direct swap. In terms of the original Duotherm, unfortunately not... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=130
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R