Dynamic wheel balancers

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
MarkB

Dynamic wheel balancers

Post by MarkB »

I really like these things. I have a set off a trailer that used 5 lug rims. I am pondering at the moment changing them to the 6 lug wheels for the Avion. I have to enlarge the center bore hole and of course redrill the lug pattern. So I am at the moment measuring and thinking about giving it a try. I have 5 balancers so one will be the guinea pig I guess. If I try and it works I'll report back. If it doesn't work I'll report back.
'89 Travelcade 28A
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic wheel balancers

Post by KYAvion »

Centramatics?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Yes. I’ve also used the balancemasters which are very nice.
'89 Travelcade 28A
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Just curious….what difference can you tell between running wheels that are balanced, and running centramatics with wheels that are balanced? I’ve never used centramatics, but have been curious about them.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

They just make for a better ride, over expansion joints included.

With a roadforce balance, the machine takes into effect the spring rate of the tire, unless you run the tires at the same pressure they were balanced at the balance could be off.

They also take into consideration other than optimal balance.
'89 Travelcade 28A
Pewterpalace87

Post by Pewterpalace87 »

We ran Centramatics on our 72, 28' and our 2005 Suburban for 3 yrs. Liked the performance. When we purchased our 87, 32S and our 2011 GMC 2500HD 4WD crew cab Denali we installed on both again as well. Peace of mind and we like the performance. Really seems to help extend tire life and even wear.
Kevin & Luise Sherman
"The Pewter Palace"
1987, 32S Avion
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I’ll have to give a set a try someday. Right now my tires age our before they wear out, but I suppose the balancers could only improve the ride quality. That said, my 30R has a MorRyde suspension and there doesn’t seem to be much jostling around, but I imagine every bit helps.

@PewterPalace87 when you say “both” do you mean your tow vehicle too?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I tried to modify one of the 5 x 5 1/2 balancers to the 6 lug. Measure twice and mutilate once. 4 out of 6 holes would have worked good, 5 was a little out and 6 was a little more. Doesn't take much to throw things off I guess. I still have a set of 4 left but don't think I'll experiment anymore. amazon has the centramatics 4 for $206 and doesn't take up half a day to make.
'89 Travelcade 28A
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Also had to replace some 10 yr old tires. Went with the same 15" rim and bought some Carlisle tires. Looks like they came right off the boat, dated 6/23.

Another thing with the dynamic balancers. If your trailer has sat for a while the tires tend to flat spot. The dynamic balancers help keep things rolling til the tire rounds back out.

Dynamic balancers also keep any vibrations (hopefully) out of the trailer so it doesn't fall apart between point A and B.
'89 Travelcade 28A
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I've had disc brakes balanced and there is usually some noticeable material taken out. dynamic balancers can offset these imbalances on discs and drums.
'89 Travelcade 28A