Summer of renovation

Anything related to what's happening with your Avion
TimYinger

Summer of renovation

Post by TimYinger »

1964 H-24
Finally getting serious about the renovation - cabinetry out, floors out, inner walls are next. So much decay in the subfloor and insulation, mouse nests between belly pan and subfloor in the insulation- glad I didn’t listen to the “just put something over it” crowd! Will re-wire, re-plumb, and re-insulate. Learning as I go, first timer here
Attachments
796BD8B6-49D4-440C-8423-FA1C01987747.jpeg
7AC7C58F-3F56-4A02-95A6-C0741FB8F177.jpeg
2BBBEBA7-FEF4-456A-B5D7-A4383D58350C.jpeg
81F4A373-9690-42A4-9824-B30716FEDB2F.jpeg
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Summer of renovation

Post by KYAvion »

Looks like you’re doing it right!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DrFred

Post by DrFred »

Hi TimYinger,
We are doing the same this summer and it’s the same size trailer, so maybe we can keep each other updated. Where are you at in the project now? Would love to get an update and have any tips you’ve learned along the way. Anything you would have done differently?

I started a new post under the topic “interior renovations” with specific questions.
Attachments
C8DEEB24-FAEE-48A7-8074-049D350A09BC.jpeg
2563B9D2-BF9D-4B4F-8ED9-E941F69009CC.jpeg
1B96E591-971C-49F3-93DF-614A607B4A26.jpeg
4AF3DE6B-9D6E-4ECC-BB37-0D89501ADD63.jpeg
TimYinger

Post by TimYinger »

@DrFred thanks for connecting! I have started taking the belly pan out, here are a couple of pictures. Windows now have new glass, I found the right rubber gasket at vintagetrailers.net and a local glass shop did the glass cutting and fit it in- let me know of you are doing windows work too. I’m not sure if in want to make it mobile, the black tank/grey tank setup has been a bit of a puzzle. How is yours going? I’m in kentucky, where are you?
Attachments
A79CEC85-AD15-4E2E-85D2-6171DDADA006.jpeg
9F1AD2D1-4554-4340-B2A0-02A7679D11F1.jpeg
DrFred

Post by DrFred »

Thanks for the reply and the info on the gaskets for the windows, I’ll be needing those as well. I’m in Annandale, NJ.
Next step, after I get those large pieces out of the interior, will be to drop the bellypan and drill out exterior rivets and lift the shell so I can pull the frame/chassis out and see what needs welding and strengthening. I know I need new axels and wheels as we do want to be mobile.
As far as the interior, I saved all the cabinetry, they were in good shape, will need some repair and will most likely paint them. Not putting the heater back in and not sure about new kitchen set-up. A microwave and fridge might be enough, maybe 2 burner induction cooktop but a whole range/oven seems overboard. I don’t plan to do much roasting or baking in there. I have the original appliances but the exteriors aren’t great. Will probably try to sell or scrap.
Very undecided about putting a bathroom back in.

I only have time to work on this on the weekends and if it’s too hot I refuse to try and work in there, so this is going to be a long slow process. I don’t expect to make much progress in the summer unless we get some cool days.

I’ll send an update when I get the frame lifted.

How about you? Where are you and what are the plans? Are you trying to keep everything as authentic as possible or making modern for better use. We are more about how we’ll best use it, than trying to keep it original. Exterior will be original though, can’t wait to shine it up. Ours was painted and stripping was a process but it came out great, now it just needs a little elbow grease.
Lagniatte

Post by Lagniatte »

Hey gents - my fiancé and I are close behind each of you with our 1978 34 renovation. Our interior skins are out and I am removing floors next to inspect the entire frame and sure up some of the squishy spots in the floor. We bought our trailer already gutted so unfortunately we are going to have to make new templates, furniture, cabinets, etc. We're based in Southeast Louisiana and I would love to stay in touch. Best of luck to each of you.
Lagniatte [lan-yacht]
1978 Avion 34-something
Gutted and stripped, currently reframing and replumbing
DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan »

Dr Fred and Tim,

Do I just take off the belly pan to see the frame ?
And are you going with spray foam insulation like the later Avions did ?

I'm going to look at 62, 24H today. Wish I could bring you BOTH along on a zoom call and ask the experts.
It's partially gutted, has stove, sink, and overhead cabinets, missing everything else - no dinette, no furnace, no fridge, no bath, ? black water tank ? no wall, no twin beds, no twin bed platforms...

Seems many of these projects end up "body off" to repair frame, seller said Avion frames seem to hold up better than Airstream ?? aluminum belly pan and steel frame ? glavanic corrosion from day 1.

Will check back in later....