Need help, replacing 7 blade connecter

110 volt, 12 volt, Batteries, Converters and Inverters, Solar
john.windsor

Need help, replacing 7 blade connecter

Post by john.windsor »

I have a 1986 Avion 30P silver edition. I need to replace the trailer cord 7 blade. It has been spliced several times and is way short. What I need to know is if there is a junction box and if so where it is located. I do not want to just rip off the under skin of my unit to try to find it. Thanks in advance. John
silverloaf

Re: Need help, replacing 7 blade connecter

Post by silverloaf »

john.windsor wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:41 am I have a 1986 Avion 30P silver edition. I need to replace the trailer cord 7 blade. It has been spliced several times and is way short. What I need to know is if there is a junction box and if so where it is located. I do not want to just rip off the under skin of my unit to try to find it. Thanks in advance. John
John-

There is a junction box underneath at the very front of the trailer. Remove a small dust cover; it may be attached to the belly pan with pop rivets. In the box are the 12V wiring connections for trailer lights, electric brakes, etc., as well as the 12V hot feeds into the inside cabin. You may find it necessary to purchase some newer wire nuts. Cleaning the bare wires is always a good idea. Wire colors don't always match; I took pics before and after.

I originally installed a 6ft cord like the one removed. However, my trailer connection to the truck is into the bumper below the tailgate; I was short by about a foot. I ended up installing an 8ft cord which was more than enough.

I got the cords through Etrailer.com. Good luck!
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Need help, replacing 7 blade connecter

Post by KYAvion »

In case it helps, you can also install an additional junction box on the trailer tongue. I did this and it makes replacing the 7 way easy, as well as makes troubleshooting much simpler.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R