Battery relocation

110 volt, 12 volt, Batteries, Converters and Inverters, Solar
BimmerRacer

Battery relocation

Post by BimmerRacer »

We are considering going lithium batteries and eventually solar and I am thinking about moving batteries inside, essentially over the rear axles on the passenger side. It seems to make sense given that it would be close to where the current charger/controller and breaker panels are. Any reason not to consider that location?
silverloaf

Re: Battery relocation

Post by silverloaf »

Probably the same reason you don't see propane tanks inside an RV or fuel tanks under the rear seat of a car/ truck.

Do some research, including developing an emergency exit plan if the lithium battery goes rogue.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
BimmerRacer

Post by BimmerRacer »

Thanks for your comment. I should have been a bit more clear in my question. The batteries I am planning on using are not Lithium Ion. They are Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4). I suggest you read up on the differences but I believe these are suitable for interior installations, as many many others have done.
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I would not rely on others doing it, and would want some documentation from the manufacturer that it's safe to use inside an RV. Having the batteries outside just seems safer. Also, what benefits do you get by having them inside? There are already wires that go to the front of the trailer to the battery box. I guess its a tradeoff and only you can decide whats the right course of action.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
BimmerRacer

Post by BimmerRacer »

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2020 ... airstream/ as a reference for "other people" from a blog post by a pretty reputable company

The problem with the existing wires is that they aren't the right gauge. Another problem with keeping the lithium batteries outside is theft. At around a $1000 each they are a target. And if I want to have more than 2 batteries there's simply not enough space for them.

Aside from the trailer jack and breakaway switch, what else needs to have battery power at the front? Thinking if I keep a dedicated battery up front along with a battery maintainer and/or a small solar panel and wire trailer jack and breakaway switch to that I could eliminate the need to connect the new system to the front. The tow vehicle won't produce enough to charge the new batteries anyway.
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

Current LiFeP04 batts are fine to use inside. If not, there are a lot of boats that will be sinking, including mine. What brand are you choosing? I've been very happy with my SOK boat install. There are some reporting issues with the new bluetooth heated BMS (206AH Marine), but I'm not one of them. Mine has been great. SOK has a new BMS that allows greater AMP demand. Even so, it will take a good 400AH to fire up a small inverter without first pre-charging the capacitors or causing the BMS to go into protect mode. The SOK FB page is a great source of updated information. Will Prowse's youtube page is great too. Anyway, SOK is roughly $1k for 206AH. 5yr warrantee, if I remember. By all reports it's better built than most anything else out there and at nearly half the price of Battle Born ($ per AH). You can install them on their sides as well. That was key for my space. Not sure if asking, but Victron controllers all the way (yea, I know my controllers are slightly undersized for my panels). My Avion will get the same once my wallet quits smoking from the boat refit, Avion purchase, etc., etc., etc. I have stupid large cabling, auto transfer switches, sub panel, inverter, etc on hand and I suspect all my solar and inverter components will be in the front upper cabinets (once modified). If so, all my batts will remain on the tongue (longer, supported, alumn batt box will be needed). Installing all that equipment closer to the power management goodies makes a ton more sense, but not sure I want to give up the room. I may, however. Probably will. Dunno until I get serious. Good luck!!
Attachments
SOK.jpg
295466036_10221468859567836_5577544135613237227_n.jpg
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

The tech these days. Can monitor, tweak, etc from your phone (must be in BT range). I say go for it and go big (certainly bigger than what I have going on here).
Attachments
Screenshot_20220911-103034.jpg
Screenshot_20220911-103100_ABC-BMS.jpg
Screenshot_20220911-103118_ABC-BMS.jpg
BimmerRacer

Post by BimmerRacer »

Thanks! We are thinking SOK as well, based on Will's (we watch that as well) teardown and other reviews it just seems to tick all the boxes.

Question for you -- so I am planning on doing a 50A upgrade over the winter and getting the new converter with a lithium profile. The existing battery cables from the converter won't work if I were to put 2 SOK batteries on the tongue, correct? Needs to be larger?
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

No clue what ours has as it's new to us and electrical upgrades are way down the road, but I would not be surprised if small. Here's a sweet chart:
Attachments
DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

Meh, probably can't read it very well. Here's the link: https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437