Direct Replacement Shocks for Adjust A Ride?

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
deminimis

Direct Replacement Shocks for Adjust A Ride?

Post by deminimis »

I've read some posts and can no longer find some of them (here, there, or wherever). Is there a direct replacement shock for the triple axle, 80's era Avions with Adjust A Ride? I saw a post where someone made some mods, but I want to avoid that. Hoping for a brand and a model number so I can bring some along should I be able to purchase an Avion soon to bring back home. Thanks!
silverloaf

Re: Direct Replacement Shocks for Adjust A Ride?

Post by silverloaf »

I purchased Monroe shock absorbers for our 88 30P in 2017. Like you, I had no part number to go by. I went to their website. There is a chart that enabled me to plug in certain cook-book dimensions of what I had. The results produced a Monroe part number based up on this information. When the parts arrived, they were a near mirror-image in appearance to my old ones.

This won't be of much help if your trailer is miles away. Should you be forced to tow it home with the old shock absorbers, the above info will generate the right part to do the job.

By the way, I towed our trailer home with bad brakes, borderline tires and likely non-functioning shocks. I traveled about 125 miles with some of it on an expressway. I kept it under 55mph. The weather was cool so the effects of heat were not an issue. It's all about managing risk.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

Thanks Bob. Depending on whether this new one of interest pans out, 2K miles through the desert SW...in August. I tow a lot, so that's not a big deal. It will have fresh sneakers as I'll show up with a new set. Would like to show up with shocks too, so if you happen to be mess'n behind your wheels anytime soon, and can snag a pic of the part number on the shocks, I sure would appreciate it. If not, no worries. Thanks.
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

I think it may be Monroe 555001, but have yet to confirm (mid-80s triple Adjust a Ride).
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

I did a deep-dive through my files and found the shock absorber order. The Monroe Gas Magnum part number is, in fact, 555001.

I purchased them through Amazon on 8/7/17. The cost for 4 with tax was $151.00.

Good luck!

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

Thank you!!!
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Here's a link to my shock/brake project..... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54&p=71&hilit=555001#p71

Stenglel still sells the shocks: https://www.stengelbros.net/555001-Monr ... p_731.html
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
deminimis

Post by deminimis »

Thank you!